Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,785 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

The Neuroscience of Changing Toxic Thinking Patterns

9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi TS,

I'm glad you got something out of it. Me too. And thank you for mentioning the book. I downloaded it to my iPad, as well as "Rewire your Brain: Think your way to a better life". It's about neuroplasticity and techniques to rewire our thinking patterns. I think we can all agree we have hit a fork in the road and we need to change, however, programming the mind to accept "powerlessness" is a bad plan if you take some time to understand how the brain and the mind actually work. Imagine for a moment programming your mind to that concept and the epic consequences of your life coming apart if have 1 drink. I think we can project the results yet overcoming this challenge is iterative in nature and does have set backs and progressions. Why would rewire for disaster when my goal is resolution and evolution? 

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dave,

Thank you for recommending this article. I found it to be very helpful to be reminded of the power of self. I am familiar with the concept having read the book "The Brain That Changes Itself." We have the power to form thinking patterns that can change our current beliefs (I am powerless over alcohol) and our past perceptions (I drink because of a,b,and c that happened in my life.) Of course, we truly have to want to change in order to be successful. Convincing yourself that the attributes of alcohol (are there really any?) outweigh the negatives will surely keep you harnessed to the bottle. Suggesting to yourself that you are powerless over alcohol is nonsensical. You are the boss of you, not some mind altering liquid. And yes, taking that first drink, as  is the case with me, gives my subconscience the permission to get drunk. But, it is not powerlessness. We can stop at that point but we "choose" not to.

We have the tools to drink a little, a lot or not at all. Your thinking patterns will dictate. I believe if you truly want change it's as easy as changing the way you think. 

I think I like myself a whole lot better without any alcohol at all.

TS
Hi Ashley,

Thank you for the positive feedback and sharing those statistics. I'm not surprised at all. I don't think enough attention is paid to trauma, especially for the developmental child. I agree on all points. Anyone can overcome an addiction. 

All the best,

Dave

9 years ago 0 11223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dave,

Awesome article. Thank you for sharing.

I have been reading a lot about neuroscience myself; specifically the impact of trauma (emotional, physical, etc.) on the brain and how it can predispose individuals to addiction. Did you know over 70% of women who are stuggling with addiction also have concurrent trauma issues? I assume there would be a similar stat for men as well. It is fascinating and dishearening at the same time. Information is power though. With the right resources and support anyone can overcome their addiction.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dave!! This is a great article!! I have read it twice and need to read again to fully get it all. Very interesting! Thank you for sharing it.
Hi all,

This is an excellent article on how our minds develop, the subconscious mind, addictions, toxic thinking. I highly recommend giving it a read. There are lots of links throughout the article to other areas of relevant learning. It will definitely kick open a door for self-discovery......

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/relationships/2011/08/the-neuroscience-of-changing-toxic-thinking-or-behavior-patterns/

The power of the subconscious mind isn't an area that gets enough attention, yet, it drives so much of our daily perceptions, reactions, activities, responses......

Looking forward to hearing some feedback on this as it's been a topic on my mind a lot lately. Isn't it interesting how things like this appear when we need it :) 

As I've said before, this problem of alcohol abuse develops in a very natural way and is driven by the sum parts of where we are today. The incredibly great thing about our mind and our brains is they are designed to change (neuroplasticity). This is not a life-long sentence people. It will get better.

All the best,

Dave

Reading this thread: