Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,786 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

17 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi You are doing so well, and your words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. I'm new to this site and I find everybodies stories are very enlightening which is why I decided to take make a change in my life. Keep up the good work Heather1
17 years ago 0 212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Chera, Thanks for checkin in. It sounds to me as though you are on the right path and making great progress everyday! We are also very proud of you for overcoming temptation. It's not an easy thing so give yourself a pat on the back. Keep going. You're doing great! Danielle _________________________ The AHC Support Team
17 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all, thank you all for your comments and joing the Alcohol Help Center. I learn something from each posting and that is what keeps me motivated to continue working my goals. I am on Day 26 of sobriety. And it has not been easy, but then I think if I drink because of these thorny situations arise in front of me, then I will just have to begin this journey all over again. The cravings are coming less and less. But my downfall is a nice glass of red wine. I have been to two events in the past week where drinking was a part of it. Just seeing the person next to me enjoying a nice Cabernet is mind-consuming. But I made the committment to not drink "Just for this Day" and that put me back in perspective. It is getting a tad easier to be around alcohol, but I am so new to being sober, that there always is a bad thought of drinking that invades my brain. I have been fortunate that I am with a non-drinking person or persons that encourage me to keep up the good job and several have even said they are so proud of me. BECAUSE I DO have a drinking problem and one drink will never be enough. Reading articles on alcoholism, prayer, AA meetings have been soooo helpful. And the greater news is my husband and soul mate of 23 years has made a choice not to drink. I have no idea if it will stick, but I understand that this is his life and he, as I learned in AA, has to "write" his on life's story. Just as we all do. Every success, every failure is part of our life story for us to look back on and learn from it. I hope that all of you are doing well. And if there was a slip, find something you learned from the incident and vow to do better the next time.
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi joni. I'm new, too. See my post in Introduce yourself forum. How are things going with your alchohol use? Hope you are sticking to your goals. I'm only one day in, so I guess I'm still unsure of my ability to abstain. I will keep getting up every day, and telling myself it is a new day, and that today I will not drink. Good luck with your progress! ashika1
thanks for the welcome. i am looking forward to participating in the community! Joni
17 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Joni! Welcome! I too have realized that a change needs to be made and I am in the process of making these changes -- cutting down first and eventually quitting. Hope to hear from you soon.
17 years ago 0 212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Joni, Welcome to the AHC! Admitting you need a change in your life is the first step and it's not always easy so don't be too hard on yourself. Start familiarizing yourself with our program and read through a few conversations. Feel free to add your experiences or comments if you feel comfortable. Know that you are not alone. Everyone here is in the same boat as you and together we'll help you get your alcohol use down to what you think is reasonable. If you have any questions, just ask. We are always here to lend a helping hand. We hope to hear from you again soon. Keep taking it one step at a time. Danielle ______________________ The AHC Support Team
hi i'm joni. i'm not very good at sharing my feelings, but i need to start somewhere and i am glad i came across this group. i have been struggling with my alcohol use for many years, but it wasnt until this month that I knew i had to make a change. i have mental health issues that are made worse by my alcohol consumption, and although i take medication and go to therapy, i still feel the need to drink to escape many of the symptoms of my illnesses. i have no goal yet. just being able to admit a change needs to be made feels pretty monumental to me. i look forward to learning from the experiences of the others who are brave enough to share. i will try my best to share too.

Reading this thread: