Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Your guide to quitting ? Values & Beliefs

13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My values began to change before becoming smoke free.  I started to take note of the negative things about my smoking........for example experiencing heart burn when I smoked, being embarrased and wanting to hide the fact that I smoked, struggling to find a place to smoke, mood changes and spaced out feeling when not able to smoke.  All those and more reactions I used to build up to my quit.  I didn't tell myself that I enjoyed smoking etc I instead started to reinforce the negatives of smoking to myself, how bad it tasted, how sick it made me, how I smelled of cigarettes, how I was stuck outside in wind and rain and burning sun just to have a cigarette hardly worth it!!!! So this quit is easier for me because I have changed my attitude and thinking about cigarettes and I love seeing those grosse commercials on TV about lungs and smoking related disease because I'm not doing it anymore.  I like that I am saving money and will be able to pamper myself, look better, be more healthy and free.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/23/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 250
Amount Saved: $166.65
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 0 Mins: 6 Seconds: 54

13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Newbies,

We know that becoming smoke free involves changing values. For example, do you value your health more than smoking?

How about the health effects you have on your family because of second-hand smoke?

Everyone who smokes has there own personal hardships when quitting – our job is to help you identify and reduce these hardships. Believe us - we know about hardships because many of the people who built this program are former smokers. We’ve been there and living the life of a non-smoker has tremendous benefits.

But let’s focus on how your values are changing. People who successfully become smoke free have all decided that certain values (like being healthy, having more money and feeling more in control) are more important to them than continuing to smoke.

Members,

Have your values changed since you’ve quit?

Jason, Health Educator

Reading this thread: