Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,771 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78

A really good article I found....

17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello. Your article was just what I needed this morning. I haven't smoked since last Saturday. Thanks, Sully
17 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breaking Free: That was an excellant read. Basically Overcoming an addiction is like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. I am saving a copy for reading through the next year. Thanks, Navigator.
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are welcome and congrats on a full week of clean air! Keep on keeping your quit ... you are doing great. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,305 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $172 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
  • Quit Meter

$54,549.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5961 Hours: 8

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

A really good article I found.... I hope you all enjoy.... Think for a moment of your life as a tightly woven piece of fabric. Each thread represents the events and experiences you�ve had. And running alongside all of the many "life" threads are threads of a finer gauge. So fine in fact, they�re impossible to see with the naked eye. Those threads are your smoking habit, and they�ve become so interwoven in the fabric of your life, you find you can�t do anything without thinking about how smoking will fit into it. The associations that we build up over a lifetime between the activities in our lives and smoking are very closely knit. Once you quit smoking, your job becomes one of unraveling those smoking threads, or associations, one by one. How does that happen? And how long does it take? Practice Makes Perfect Recovery from this addiction is a process of gradual release over time. Every smoke free day you complete is teaching you how to live your life without cigarettes. Bit by bit, you�re reprogramming your responses to the daily events that trigger the urge to smoke. The more practice you get, the less urges will plague you. Over the course of your first smoke free year, you'll encounter most of the events and situations in your daily life that you associate with smoking. Some smoking triggers are seasonal in nature and can create strong urges to smoke months into your quit. For instance, if you quit smoking during the winter and you're an avid gardener, you could find yourself craving a smoke break the first time you're out digging in the dirt the following Spring. It may hit you with an intensity you haven't felt in months. Don't worry! Once you make your way through the trigger smoke free, you'll move on with ease. The first year is all about firsts...experiencing the many daily events in your life smoke free for the first time. And, it's all about practice. You built your smoking habit through years of practice. Now, build the nonsmoking you the same way. Practice is a necessary part of recovery, so try to relax and let time help you. The more of it you put between yourself and that last cigarette you smoked, the stronger you�ll become. It�s All In The Attitude With that said, there�s another step in finding permanent freedom from this
  • Quit Meter

$54,549.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I hope it works Kim. (((cyberhugs))) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,193 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$54,549.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 607 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breaking Free, excellent article. I have emailed it to my husband hoping he will change his attitude about smoking. He dwells on smoking and acts liek his best friend died. Hopefully this will get him to log on here and see the light. Kim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 343 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52.65 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello BF, Yes it is a good article. This thread discusses similar territory than other recent ones, but is equally important. The bit about the changing of the seasons is particularly poignant for me. I illustrated this on another thread by explaining that the other day I played the piano for the first time in around six months. Typically I used to sit there for around 30mins. Then what would I do when I was done? Why, light up a cig of course! And what happened the other day when I finished playing? I had this incredibly strong trigger to smoke. The fact that I recognised that this was merely a memory trigger just made me smile and the feeling soon passed. I am sure that if I went to my piano again, the trigger to smoke would be weaker or non-existent. You Newbies who are in your first few days are having Cravings (ie Cravings for Nicotine). Cravings do not exist after a couple of weeks (some say a couple of days). My body has been nicotine-free for 8 weeks - it is not possible for me to have cravings any more. I think the main difference is this: for a smoker, the cravings to smoke remain constant or even get stronger over the years; for the quitter, the memory triggers become less frequent and less strong as time progresses. My understanding of my quit is improving greatly as time goes on. For me, it has taken the passing of time to realise. For those of you in your early weeks on the quit, you might read the words here, understand them, but not fully comprehend them or really believe them. That is just the addict in you trying to hang on. Trust me, that will pass. I'm so much happier now, still get the smoking triggers, but they are fading in strength. It's a beautiful day, sorry I've got to go now to enjoy the sunshine. Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 128 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,845 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �960 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks breaking free- I have been stuck with a so-so attitude and because of that I now believe I continue to struggle. The patience part has gotten me this far but the attitude will make my journey really hard. Thanks again for reminding me. Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $531 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This article is filled with so much truth. Especially the section about attitude. I feel it is truly applicable to the current state of this board. Thanks for another great post, BF. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 394 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1497.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 73 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey BF, Thanks for sharing - another enlightening post. Penitent d765
  • Quit Meter

$57,288.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1134 Hours: 17

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter