Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,771 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78

advice????

16 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Couple things that helped with smoking in my car....which I loved smoking in the car are as follows: A new bottle of lotion that I kept in the car and when I get ansy, I put some on my hands (yes, while driving, stay off the road), #2, a new CD of my choosing...a pre-quit smoking gift for my car...and #3, I cleaned out my car and got rid of all lighter's and trash and got an air freshner. Hope this helps. Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 735 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just buy a new car! You will really feel terrible if you ruin that new car smell ;) actually, I did stop smoking in (any) cars several years ago because I had bought a new car.Although I kept myself from smoking in the car,I continued to smoke wherever else I could. I still had cravings in the worst way in the beginning. I managed the cravings by keeping a very cold bottle of water with me and when I had them available, a big ole crunchy apple.I also fell in love with wasabi peas. They are hot, crunchy, low fat & calories and kind of have a smokey taste. They have been my best friend during this total quit. Dream, you are doing great by educating yourself.Knowledge is a powerful tool against this addiction.You are asking all of the right questions and these guys here are offering great advice! I am so happy to have their support. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 73 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $350.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
16 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
having a long day.. thanks.. I loved reading these post... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 54 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 702 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
16 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunflower seeds still in the shell. Use to crack em open with my hand and then eat them. After awhile I learned that I could put a handful in my mouth, one by one open the shells and put those on one side of my mouth while the shelled ones were on the other side. Once I opened all of them up, I put the shells in a covered cup.(So I didn't have to look at them) I still don't know which is worse, vacuuming up all the ashes or the shells. It's been over a year now and the smell is out of my car, even with the air at full blast. Best of luck, you have received a lot of good ideas to try. You will find out what works for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 372 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,562.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
16 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had two coping mechanisms in the car...which was the biggest trigger for me... I had the red licorice sticks...the big fat ones. They are similar in diameter to a cigarette, and I would bite both ends and pretend it was a cigarette. Instead of a puff, I took a little bite. It helped with the oral thing. And they are fat- and cholesterol-free! Once I had the oral thing licked (so to speak)I carried a stress ball in the car. Whenever my hand got the itch, I grabbed ths stress ball and squeezed the devil out of it. The stress ball is still in the car...but now I reach for it when traffic gets me stressed. Good luck! Nance [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 224 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,720 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,086.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
16 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks for that.. it really meant alot that you spend the time to say all that to me. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] -160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $-28.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] -207097
16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dream, I chew on kitchen matches, I just never liked straws, Altoids are fun too, when stress levels are high I just crunch em and breath deep. What I hate about my Jeep is that the AC still smells like smoke. I think there is an in-cab air filter that can be changed to get rid of the stink. There are all sorts of triggers that make us want to smoke, I refused to give up my coffee or wine and just dealt with the triggers as they came. Since you are giving yourself plenty of time to prepare go ahead and read Allen Carrs book. It will help you understand a few things about the addiction. Carrots celery grapes water water water. Black coffee. I always sweeten my coffee but found that hot black coffee somehow helped the cravings. Everything is just a distraction from the mental war we have to fight. I kept my smokes in my shirt pocket so I keep a few matches there and when I reach for the pack I get a match instead. Yours are probably in your purse, put some mints and gum and anything you can think of in there so when you go for one your hand just finds something else and there is no disappointment or thoughts about smoking. Try not to think about smoking, the more you do the more you want one. You don't smoke anymore so don't waste energy wishing you could. Before you quit, practice a bit, pretend you don't smoke, have some gum instead. We'll be here to hold your hand, to give you encouragement and hugs, we'll laugh with you and cry with you. We've done it and so can you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 936 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $163.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dream, the car was big for me too. I used tic-tacs and cold water. Each time got a bit easier. I still have thoughts when I get in the car.I still use tic-tacs and cold water. [IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc51/pollyepierce/cooltext66183018.jpg[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $328.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
16 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dream, The car is one of the hardest places to overcome... Bottled water a.m. and after work.. I also pretend to smoke small plastic straws.. when I finish smoking them, I chew the ends... My commute is only about 15 to 20 min.. Talking on my phone helps too... You will do great!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 600 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21

Reading this thread: