Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Where Are the Cravings Coming From?

15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thread - thanks for bumping it up.  I stopped smoking for over a year and for some reason I started smoking again.  I can't even remember why I bought that first pack  {big mistake}.  In retrospect if I had visited this site first, I probably wouldn't have bought that first pack.  My point is you can never let your guard down.  Thansk for being here SCC.
15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Katielynn,

I know what you are talking about.  I too, like Karren, avoided the smoking interactions as much as I could.  We have family that smokes too, so we couldn't avoid that.  You can check some of my earlier posts, everytime I needed to do something for the first time without smoking, I panicked, but everyone here got me through it, and now it isn't so bad anymore.  I know I can do it because I have faced it.  You can do this, do things as you are ready to handle them, then go full speed ahead!!

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 243
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,290
Amount Saved: $911.25
Life Gained:
Days: 19 Hrs: 19 Mins: 42 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Katielynn,

Thanks for bumping this thread up, it is a great topic!

Some more members will be around to comment on what you are experiencing soon. All quitters have different experiences during their quit. Some complain that they can't even stand the smell of second hand smoke, it makes them sick, while others don't have any negative reaction to it. Good for you for having the resolve to be in this situation and not smoke. Continue to come up with coping skills to help you fight through the cravings and reinforce your quit.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KatieLynn I am afraid I dont have any constructive advice as I have avoided those situations as best as I can for the same reasons that you are experiencing- I would find it very difficult to be in an enclosed space with a smoker especially early into my quit.
I admire your resolve and strength being in that difficult situation and I am sure your determination will help you get through it. I am also sure maybe another member of SSC will have some more practical advice for you to help you manage this situation.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 87
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,175
Amount Saved: $1,305.00
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 6 Mins: 10 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Kelly.  Somehow or another, I'm going to beat this thing, whatever it is that reared its ugly head.  I've come too far to give up now.  For now, I think I'll just let Natalie, Moss and you lead and not break up the set.  We No-Embers will do this together.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 216
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,320
Amount Saved: $1,339.20
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 18 Mins: 17 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
we have quite a few smokers where I work, including the boss, she is a casual smoker - mostly when she drinks.

Tomorrow she has called a management meeting at her house, everyone will be smoking outside, it will be hot and I simply won't sit out there with them.  It stinks.

But you guys, my friends and family are my rock, the wealth of information on this site is my go to place, and my quit reasons kept close to my heart keep me steady.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 419
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,190
Amount Saved: $838.00
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 21 Mins: 29 Seconds: 11

15 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks. I've been trying to go for walks.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 840
Amount Saved: $306.60
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 15 Mins: 7 Seconds: 55

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there ML, sorry for all your stress.  I hope your sessions help to bring things to light for you.  I guess we have to train our brains that a cigarette doesn't solve stress, and then the cravings will be less.  I know what your feeling some days...
sending you hugs...

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 202
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,060
Amount Saved: $757.50
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 11 Mins: 47 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ron and Brenna, excellent points.  Since I am retired, I can pick and choose whom I wish to be around.  So far, it's non-smokers or me, myself and I.  I am presently undergoing some very emotional stressors - another one added this past weekend - and have started to undergo counseling last week to deal with them.  The first session was most productive and illuminating to me and the counselor and I clicked, thankfully.  I'm looking forward to my session tomorrow.

But that being said, and recently completing my seventh month of not smoking, I am undergoing cravings that are worse than any I have experienced before so I paid close attention to what you both wrote.  I would venture to guess it's the stressors I'm undergoing that's creating this and I am hoping that the counseling sessions will put everything in perspective and these cravings will stop.

I was out today, rewarding myself for the completion of seven months smoke free and on the way back to my car, I had such an urge to smoke that if I had had a cigarette anywhere near me, I probably would have caved in.  Thankfully, there wasn't.  After I got home, I was drawn to SSC, clicked on and saw this thread.  So, I'm remaining smoke free, the craving is more under control right now and I would appreciate any advice on what to do because I know that this will happen again.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 216
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,320
Amount Saved: $1,339.20
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 17 Mins: 30 Seconds: 21

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'll second that.   good information.  Knowing why can help put the right perspective on it.  I hope a lot of new people read this thread.  Thanks bgaines!!

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 219
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,285
Amount Saved: $739.13
Life Gained:
Days: 35 Hrs: 6 Mins: 17 Seconds: 42

Reading this thread: