Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

An extremely powerful smoking commercial.....

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Powerful commercial and message indeed!

Thanks for posting Jazz. Hopefully it will trigger smokers to think twice about the road they are on.

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz,
Thanks for posting this. 

I think back to when I was still a die hard smoker and I know I'd have found a way to rationalize my smoking even if my "mind" understood the message.  Hopefully though, other addicts won't be as hard to reach now as I was back then.  I applaud whoever is paying for the commerials as they are raising awareness of what smoking can do to us. 

I haven't seen the commericals yet in Canada. 

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 789
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 31,560
Amount Saved: $15,780.00
Life Gained:
Days: 103 Hrs: 13 Mins: 8 Seconds: 51

• Quit Meter

$121,920.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 971 Hours: 2

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bob, no apologies needed.  After re-reading my original post, I can see why you might have misread it.  I don't always explain things well (well, in my head it makes sense, but sometimes I'm still fuzzy too)!  lol
Hi Karren.  I'm just curious - why wouldn't it be shown in the UK?  The commercial they're showing there now sounds pretty sad - hopefully it will shake a few people up.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 449
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,980
Amount Saved: $3,412.40
Life Gained:
Days: 49 Hrs: 1 Mins: 8 Seconds: 12

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz, I am sure someone on here has that as a quit video as I have seen that too and of course it wouldn't be shown here in the UK, or maybe I saw it on Youtube I dont know for sure but I know I've seen it and boy does it make you think!

The one in the UK at the moment is children saying they are not afraid of the dark, of clowns, of monsters, but what they are afraid of is their parent dying from smoking. Its pretty good, views better than I have described it actually! Its to sort of highlight children's concerns about losing a parent, kind of meant to tug at the heart (and guilt) strings (hopefully)!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 321
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,025
Amount Saved: $4,815.00
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 21 Mins: 54 Seconds: 2

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My apologies Jazz.......I misread .(only 60 days......still fuzzy.......lol)

I agree ........now that I understand it and have it right.....it is a good one.
Thanks
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 59
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,770
Amount Saved: $247.80
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 10 Mins: 47 Seconds: 44

Actually Bob, I took it the other way - it reinforced my quit.  It reminded me that I had a choice to make, and I made the right one.  Otherwise, I'd end up like the woman with cancer, or the cancerous person they couldn't operate on.  I think if I had seen the commercial while I had still been smoking, it would have scared me enough to quit.
My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 49 Hrs: 0 Mins: 59 Seconds: 51

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't seen any of those yet...........all the more reason to record everything and fast-forward through the commercials.......
Hopefully they don't hit anyone in a weak state from fighting his addict........might cause a quit to be lost.......Sad they can do that.

Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 59
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,770
Amount Saved: $247.80
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 10 Mins: 31 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jazz,

Yep pretty powerful stuff. We had an eye catching one over here about a hook that got caught in your cheek and you were dragged off for a cigarette. Something about 'get unhooked'. Adverts tend to have the opposite effect on my mind so I am not sure they work for everyone (I used to smoke more on no smoking day).

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/12/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 624
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 15,600
Amount Saved: �3,354.00
Life Gained:
Days: 81 Hrs: 22 Mins: 42 Seconds: 59

There’s a new commercial on the TV that I saw for the first time this week. Both Mr. J and I looked at each other after, and were freaked out about how powerful the message is.  I might be a wee bit off, but it goes something like this:   

It shows a woman saying she doesn’t want to quit smoking because she’ll gain weight, then switches the camera to a women with cancer, with a scarf on her head saying “I’ve lost 25 pds”.

The next one quotes a man saying that he can hardly get out of bed before lighting a smoke, and switches to a dying man lying in bed, saying that he can’t get out of bed. 

The final one is a person saying “I can’t quit”, then switches to a doctor studying a screen, saying “I can’t operate”. 

‘Nuf said.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 49 Hrs: 0 Mins: 46 Seconds: 20

Reading this thread: