Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Vitamins??

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Okay,Misty, that's it! Nevermind that it's minus 15 degrees Celcius out there... I'm going to the Health Food store to buy some Vitamin A supplements. I already take B Complex and a Multi-Vitamin and One(1)gram Vitamin C daily. What else does an ex-smoker need to re-build a damaged system? You're a mine of information... thanks [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $101.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Acording to the World's Healthiest Foods site: "If you or someone you love is a smoker, or if you are frequently exposed to secondhand smoke, then making vitamin A-rich foods, such as sweet potatoes, part of your healthy way of eating, may save your life, suggests research conducted at Kansas State University. While studying the relationship between vitamin A, lung inflammation, and emphysema, Richard Baybutt, associate professor of nutrition at Kansas State, made a surprising discovery: a common carcinogen in cigarette smoke, benzo(a)pyrene, induces vitamin A deficiency. Baybutt's earlier research had shown that laboratory animals fed a vitamin A-deficient diet developed emphysema. His latest animal studies indicate that not only does the benzo(a)pyrene in cigarette smoke cause vitamin A deficiency, but that a diet rich in vitamin A can help counter this effect, thus greatly reducing emphysema. The implications are that those who start smoking at an early age are more likely to become vitamin A deficient and develop complications associated with cancer and emphysema. And if they have a poor diet, forget it." If you or someone you love smokes, or if your work necessitates exposure to second hand smoke, protect yourself by making sure at least one of the World's Healthiest Foods that are rich in vitamin A, such as sweet potatoes, is a daily part of your healthy way of eating." Some mentioned Vitamin C, and that wouldn't be a bad idea either as a few of us have felt that our imune systems took a bit of a blow after we quit smoking. Hope that helps! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 558 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 41,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10,462.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jazz, We suggest talking to you local pharmacist about this. They are great with suggesting vitamins or a multi-vitamin right for you. Make sure that you talk to them or a doctor before starting any vitamins as some vitamins have negative implications when combined with other medicines. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A good multi-vitamin is recommended and B complex to ward of the blues and I use the packetts of EmergenC for an extra boost of energy & fighting off the colds. I am not a professional so don't take this as gospal. It is just working for me. It would probably work for me better if I could remember to do it every day! LOL [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 205 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $820.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Only my opinion, but every woman should at least take a multi vitiman :) Vitiman C i feel should also be a part of everyday life, ive been taking it for like 30 years now, i dont take as much of it as i did when i was smoking but then i dont need as much now. Go to a health food store and talk with one of the people about what your body might need, or you can just go to walmart and get Multi and C. vitamins make a body feel good. I also take one called Juice + its one i get from a doctor.Any way yes Vitamins are a good thing :) Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1996 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,920 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,986.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 285 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$14,687.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 693 Hours: 19

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I truly don't know the exact answer to this other than yes we do need lots and lots of vitamins since quitting smoking and from what I have read it's not a bad idea for the other times in your life as well. I've gone to a nutritional consultant to learn more and even had a blood analysis done so that I could see what my body is lacking in or has too much of. I would recommend this to anyone as it allows you to understand your body and how it operates and what it needs more of to be as healthy as possible. They recommend what vitamins, minerals, and foods you need more of to help sustain and improve your body and health. It cost me $150 but worth every penny. Look into it if you are interested in learning more. Do as much research online if possible. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,110 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $925.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy smoke-free Friday! Can anybody help me out on the use of vitamins? I've been told by some friends that we should be taking Vitamin C now that we've quit smoking. Other friends have told me Vitamin A. Any suggestions? We don't take vitamins any at all, so I'm lost on all this. Thanks! Sue [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/3/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $167.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15

Reading this thread: