Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,718 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142, HIngle_McCringleberry

Are you scared of Quitting? What is the Fear of Quitting? Is this normal?

17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$330,590.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6030 Hours: 7

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Im trying second day.... Trying really hard... Cindy
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been afraid of "trying to quit" for years. I hate failure and felt that I was doomed to fail. After all, 17 years ago, I could only make it for 2 days and I kept remembering how awful that was. About 2 years ago, one of my nieces asked me just to "try". She didn't ask me to succeed, just to try. This has stuck with me. How could I be so selfish, so weak, that I wouldn't even try. As I tend to agonize about decisions, I didn't set a date or plan a quit date. I just did it. Lasted 4 days, smoked for 2. Quit on Sept 11th and haven't looked back. This time I decided not to worry about failure. I know that I have alot of hurdles ahead of me....but right now I am proud of the ones I have passed. Right now I just focus on today....and today, just like yesterday, I am a non-smoker. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 356 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Free. I often find that the fear of quitting keeps so many people from it. I know it kept me from it many times because I just KNEW that I would fail. But after quitting, I learned that failure is not the end of the world and it's not something to be afraid of in this situation. I would like to add that if you're afraid of quitting, give it a shot... so many people say that the worst part of the quit was just the mental preperation for it... once you jump in and start doing it, you'll probably find that it's not as bad as you think it is. I guarantee you that if you succeed at quitting, you will gain so much more than just life... you will gain confidence, self esteem and so much more from this quitting experience! So what's there to be afraid of? Jump right in! The water's fine! And we'll all help you swim! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 335 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,391 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1383.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump for Bama. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 360 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,022 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1486.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The hardest part is taking the decision, once this is done go with the flow, ride the waves, you will discover a new and better you, that was there all along hiding behind a mask of smoke. It's never too late to be healthy or for some healthier, no matter how long or how much you smoked. Do it for yourself first and all those around you will benefit from your decision, come here and we will hold your hand as others have held mine, this is called giving to the next, and we musn't break the chain, it's the chain of life and freedom from addiction. Younger or not so young, we can do it, take the first step never look back, on with the quit, one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 107 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,616 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $428 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
*bump*
  • Quit Meter

$54,530.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5959 Hours: 6

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Yep, it is all about putting that first foot forward, regardless of the fear, and doing it anyway! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 139 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $556 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$54,530.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

What is the Fear of Quitting? The 'Fear of Quitting' is the lie we tell ourself; it is the false sense of needing to hold onto the things that have contributed to screwing up our lives yesterday (our mental and physcial health due to smoking), knowing that smoking will continue to screw up our life tomorrow, and refusing to deal with it today. In the light, we see the lie. When faced with the lie, how can we help but not confront it? Just take that first step and then keep walking. Let today be the day, let that first step be the step that marks the beginning of your new past and your new future. Quit smoking today. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 139 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,188 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $556 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$54,530.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Right on folks! Keep these posts coming in. Let these lurkers know that the fear can be overcome. Let them know the fear is a lie. Encourage them to take that first step in becoming a non-smoker! Come on lurkers ... join us! I promise that you will not regret it. Quitting is such freedom. It is indescribable. Come on and feel it for yourself! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 139 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $556 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$54,530.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: