Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Confused

5 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find doing the work sheets really helped me realize how out of control I had gotten with my drinking.  Give your self a few hours to get through it. It’s quite a wake up call if you are being honest with your self and your answers.  

I found in order for me to stop I needed to get of the temptation in my house so I finished the last two beer I had and knew the next day I would commit to my promise to myself.  

You need to find your reason for YOU, and your family can help your reasons but you have to make it about you and your personal gains.  I found the only way to be successful with quiting smoking was replacing it with something.  I choose gum and it’s been 10 years this month!  Every other attempt I failed.  As for replacing the alcohol it’s a bit harder, I have replaced it with carbonated water, no weight gain!  If I can’t stop thinking about it, I change what I’m doing and tell myself the urge will go away, I just need to change what I’m doing.  So far it’s been over a month alcohol free and it gets a bit easier as the days go by!  

Good luck with your journey!
5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone. Im new on here and not exactly sure what to do
 I signed up because i drink to much and i know its affecting my family life as a whole. My children im sure are feeling the effects of my depression if and when im not drinking. My husband also sees and feels it. I find i take a lot out on him and i shouldn't. Im angry with myself and i realize that but why cant i change? I guess i came on here looking for advice and possibly some help. Im sad and lost. 
5 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is awesome that you have not drank.

What is it that you do on here?

What has been the most helpful?
5 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That’s an interesting question, I personally don’t have the answer but I’m sure the ppl who run the site will answer your question:)

I personally joined because I was in huge jeopardy of loosing my relationship and a lot of other aspects of my life if I didn’t start becoming accountable and admitting my drinking was getting out of hand.  I haven’t joined any other groups and I don’t attend AA but I have found this website a HUGE help in my journey, (I’m still not sure if quiting all together is something I want or not).  Personally, it’s been almost a month since my last drink and each day has it’s challenges.  (I was worried about the  thanksgiving holiday and our plan to go camping that weekend) but with the help of self control of not buying any and with the support of my partner choosing not to drink either for the whole weekend it was manageable.  (Still have to admit sitting around a fire with a coffee and not a beer still doesn’t seem right to me yet). 

I found reading different subjects posted on here has helped on those difficult days and also using some of the guidelines were really useful!  The one I keep using is the 15 min rule.   I tell myself it’s fine to think about about having a drink but if I give it 15 mins before giving in I can beat the urge. 

I wish you luck and encouragement on your personal journey:)

Elephantinroom:) 
5 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I am Ellie,

I am a bit confused exactly what I am supposed to be doing in this program.

I think I am supposed to interact with people and also use the tools.

Can someone help clarify things for me.

Reading this thread: