Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

48 hours down

6 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Clijc!

Congrats on getting started. 

It is completely normal to feel sad about quitting smoking. Smoking has been a big part of your life for likely a long time. I often hear members compare quitting smoking to getting out of a bad relationship - you may know the relationship is bad for you, but it still hurts to leave. I know it sounds silly but allow yourself to mourn the loss. Some people write a goodbye letter to their addictions. Others post and talk often to people who understand.

Look for alternative activities and rewards - positive changes and reinforcements can make quitting more bearable.

I hope things are getting easier for you!

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Clijc,
 Give your daughter a cookie or two for shaming you into this, she really deserves it!   Good for her!!! 
4 days into your quit now and it sounds like you are doing great. Time to take up a new hobby. You've got to keep busy so you don't have time to think about quitting. Just think, you're a non-smoker now. Awesome!
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,135.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 769 Hours: 19

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Tim! I agree the deep breathing works and is a very useful tool. I do believe that I am completely done with smoking but I do have a long way to go. You are right about the friend thing. Smoking was one of my favorite things to do, and if it wasn’t for my daughter crying every time she saw me smoking, I wouldn’t have quit on my own. I think my main hurdle now is filling all the extra time I have when not smoking. I feel a little lost like I don’t have anything to do ??. Thanks again for your support Tim. It’s nice to have people to talk with. Clijc
  • Quit Meter

$11,168.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 223 Hours: 3

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Clijc, 
 Your family have no clue do they?  You've just lost one of best buddies, no wonder you're sad. This is normal though, part of the quitting process. One of many parts of the quit process.  There are going to be a lot more different emotions that you are going to have to re-learn how to deal with, without your so called "friend". 
 Congratulations on making it to DAY 2, it's a GIANT step in the right direction. Make sure you reward yourself for this great effort too.   Do you feel deep down that are going to be able to do this forever? Just take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. Something that helped me were the deep breathing exercises. In through the nose, hold, out through the mouth, five or more times. Hard to believe that just breathing can help with the urges. 
 I wish you the best in your journey, and don't give in no matter what. You CAN do this!
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,135.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 769 Hours: 19

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello! I am 2 days now without a smoke. I have been taking Chantix which has seemed to have help a lot. I do get really sad throughout the day because I really miss smoking. It seems so silly to get sad but I can’t seem to help it. My family must think I am ridiculous for getting so upset about it.
  • Quit Meter

$11,168.63

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 223 Hours: 3

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: