Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Last Card

13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mach,
Glad to see you're continuing to try.

I successfully used chan(p)tix to quit, but I followed the directions, and found this final quit to be so much easier and doable than any previous one. I actually had 3 or 4 packs of cigarettes left in the house by the time my quit date (day 8) rolled around. I usually don't take much medication so I studied what their research showed about their success rate.

I've never known anyone to quit the day they start the medication. Hopefully it will be successful for you. I would guess that one of the dangers of doing it that way might be that the nicotine receptors in your brain have not yet been "readied" to go without actual nicotine, and if that happens you might experience more withdrawal symptoms and come to the conclusion that it doesn't work for you. In that case you might want to go back to following the suggested protocol and see if that works.

I know it's a little early for this, but I'm going to bump up a discussion thread some of us had about weaning off chantix. 

Best wishes for this being your final quit. Just tell yourself Not One Puff Ever and you'll be smoke free for life : )
-aloha 
13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Machiavelli,

Great to see that you have made a step towards quitting.  And it is very understandable that you have concerns about the side effects of champix.

Here is some general information on Champix with some information of the side effects.  It is important however, that you talk to your doctor and pharmacist about this medication.

Champix is a prescription medication, which is used to help adults quit smoking. It does not contain nicotine. It is available in tablet form in 2 dosage levels: 0.5 mg (white) and 1 mg (light blue).

How it works:

Champix can help to relieve the craving and withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking. It is believed to work by stimulating the same areas of the brain that nicotine does. It acts like a weaker version of nicotine and also blocks nicotine from getting to the nicotine receptor.

You start taking it before you quit smoking as it takes a while to build up in your system. People usually start on one 0.5 mg pill a day (days 1 - 3), then move to one 0.5 mg pill twice daily (days 4 - 7), and then two 1 mg tablets a day for days 8 to the end of treatment. When two pills are taken daily, one is taken in the morning and the other in the evening.

It's important to set a quit date before you start taking Champix. The quit date should be during the second week of treatment (between day 8 and day 14). You can keep smoking prior to your quit date, however continuing to smoke, after your quit date, will reduce your chances of successfully quitting smoking.

You stay on it for 12 weeks usually. However, your doctor may recommend that you stay on it longer. It costs about $5/day. Don't take if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Not recommended for use in children under 18 years of age.

Taking Champix in combination with other smoking-cessation therapies (e.g. patch, gum or inhaler) has not been studied and is therefore not recommended.

The most common side effects are:

Nausea, vomiting, trouble sleeping, headache, abnormal dreams, constipation and gas.

If you have any problems, it's best to talk to your Doctor who may reduce your dose temporarily or make other recommendations.

In case of an allergic reaction or unexpected effects, stop taking Champix and call your doctor or pharmacist.

Hope that gives you a good overview.  Post here often if your journey gets more rocky and you need to some support

Jason, Health Educator

13 years ago 0 361 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All I wish 
I bring champix yesterday and I'll start today ,I'm not gonna stay on smoke one week before
I stoped I'll take it and stoped at the same time ,I don't know if it will work or not but I'll try
it coz I got nothing to lose.
my concern is about the side effect,what gonna happen and what's not but I'll see it by my self.
cold turkey didn't work easy way to stop smoking didn't work I wish champix work as my last card in face of this addiction .
         thanks.

Reading this thread: