Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

New here

14 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terry - this is still my struggle.  For so many years sucking a butt was my reward for my existence.  Today I am free to do whatever I want to do.  However, sometimes that canvas is just too blank.  I have been successful at improving my overall 'self' with tons of reading and meditational thought.  Activity-wise I went a bit nuts on the yardwork and home improvement.

Be extremely grateful for all the new, little things that you will observe.  Revel in that joy.  Items like the smell of fresh coffee, donuts, bread (and anything else that will add weight);  the ability to breathe DEEP and freely, the freedom to raise your voice without straining the chords, the nuances of the healing process.  You will be able to completely enjoy activities and companionship in a new way without smoke breaks and residual odors!

Buying stuff is nice for awhile, but you must set goals beyond the goal of quitting, because to some extent, it will become old hat (and that is when you must make sure your defenses are ready).

Whatever you choose, do it because you want it.  You are worth it.

Enjoy your ride!

Dave

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 149
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,470
Amount Saved: $1,173.38
Life Gained:
Days: 24 Hrs: 8 Mins: 1 Seconds: 15

• Quit Meter

$50,398.74

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1122 Hours: 17

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What THEY ALL said!!

Welcome to the SSC family......we don't smoke.  We just don't light up.  We say N.O.P.E.

Join us........

Keeping the Quit
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 141
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,230
Amount Saved: $592.20
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 12 Mins: 47 Seconds: 16

14 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Terry! like you I came on this site prior to my quit and it seemed to be the little kick in the butt that I needed to gain enough confidence in myself to follow through with it this time. The main reason why I lost all my prior quits was because I gave up. I was afraid of going through a tough time. I made plenty of excuses... really lame ones now that I think about it. This site is amazing and the people are wonderful and you get all the support that you wont get in the "real" world and then some. Pleasure to have you on board. God Bless and Good Luck!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 122
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,830
Amount Saved: $686.25
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 20 Mins: 36 Seconds: 49

14 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SSC!  Finding something to fill your time is a tough one.  Since you've set your quit date for later in the month it gives you a bit of time to help find your fillers.  Maybe you can phase out a few and practice substituting.  Lots of people have mentioned taking up painting or other things to keep their hands busy.  I've found that I can't read much these days because it still triggers my need to smoke.  I've finished one book since I quit where I would finish one every 2 days when I was smoking.  Truly I've found more time to do things like fold laundry, etc!  It's a wonder I ever got anything done when I was smoking!!!

Good luck to you.  Stay close to this site - it's a lifesaver!
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 164
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,968
Amount Saved: $865.92
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 15 Mins: 42 Seconds: 34

14 years ago 0 280 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Terry,  You will find this group very supportive and helpful.  Make sure to go through "My Program" it will help you prepare for your quit.  I have been doing a lot of reading on here and have armed myself with everything I need for this quit.  Everytime I get a craving or feel that I can't do this, I come here and read and post...... You can do it... we are all here for you.... 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 220
Amount Saved: $61.60
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 0 Mins: 6 Seconds: 51

• Quit Meter

$31,987.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 663 Hours: 17

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome Terry. Congratulations for having the desire to quit smoking. Rock has given you wonderful advice to follow. Good luck and know we are all here to lend support!

Trillium

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 11
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 220
Amount Saved: $35.20
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 11 Mins: 5 Seconds: 37

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terry, welcome to the SSC!  You've picked a great quit date, June 28!  Have you gone through "my program" to prepare for the quit?  Preparation is key to success!  I recommend adding your quit meter to your posts from "my profile" so you can see your numbers increase.  You can pick a future date and start the countdown!  Be sure to put together a reward system to celebrate each passed craving (small reward), each smoke free day (medium reward) and each smoke free week (larger reward).  You have a couple weeks to think of ways to celebrate your new freedom from smoking!  I'm glad you love reading all the postings here, there is a wealth of information available!  Post as often as you need, somebody is always near by if you need help!  We're all rooting for your success!

P.S.  As for things to do with the extra time, are there any hobbies you've always wished you had time to do?  Volunteering opportunities?  You can always catch up on books, movies, sleep!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 295
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,800
Amount Saved: $2,950.00
Life Gained:
Days: 44 Hrs: 2 Mins: 41 Seconds: 18

14 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Terry,

As for you I have smoked for 30 years and through the years I attempted many times.  I understand how you feel about being bored since smoking is so much of your life.  You need to find something else to fill in that time either a new hobby or something that has interested you & never had the time to do! I find working in the garden really helps, & wait until you are smoke free your sense of smell will come back & the smell of the flowers is amazing! Come to the site often it really helps - there is a lot of support here & that helps stay forced & strong :) 
Wishing you all the best!
Brenda

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Tarden! Boredom often comes up as an issue on this site. It is a major trigger for me. What I've learned through many quit attempts is that I'm no less bored when I smoke. I just keep feeding that boredom with cigarettes. I'm finding that I'm not going crazy while watching TV, although I'm doing a lot of channel surfing but I mainly channel surf even when I am smoking. As you learn new habits, you won't even notice the time going by. I also keep in mind what a friend once told me, Life is boring. It tends to be that way for everyone. People often have the same routine day in and day out. Learn a new routine.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 41
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,107
Amount Saved: $415.13
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 13 Mins: 30 Seconds: 14

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SSC!
You are doing the right thing. You are getting prepared. You have to know your enemy in order to defeat it!! I also quit on Chantix and the help of this wonderful support group. I did experience some side effects, but nothing that made me quit on Chantix.
It is a great cimbination. I also recommend yo the Allen Carr Book: Stop smoking the easy way. It gives you a positive approach to the quit. So prepare yourself, and read as much as you can. Have some coping plans for your triggers and read as much as you can.
Don't be afraid. There is so much to gain and nothing to loose!!!!!!
Congratulations on your decision to quit!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 139
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,085
Amount Saved: $208.50
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 21 Mins: 5 Seconds: 1

Reading this thread: