Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,489 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

first few minutes smoke free

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!!!

The advice you have been given so far has been outstanding!  Most importantly, it's what Rock pointed out...   PREPARATION!!!   Go through all the milestones in "My Program" and have a plan of action to take when that stinkin' nico-demon goes into attack mode!!! 

Be prepared for that battle of your life, because that is exactly what it is!!!  Get yourself psyched up and crave SUCCESS, not cigarettes!!!  If you have a crave, post and ask for help!!!  If you wait for 5 replies, your crave will be gone and you will be stronger for winning another battle!!!

Always remember that you CAN do it!!!  We'll be here to help!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 393
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,825
Amount Saved: $1,621.13
Life Gained:
Days: 67 Hrs: 17 Mins: 17 Seconds: 12

• Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 3

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, Lori, Neva, Jeff -- way cool, but um, can we talk about "old?"  And when it is and is not about being old?
Me, I always said I'd quit when cigarettes went to 50 cents (the actual price, not the rapper) a pack.  Now with all the local, state, and federal taxes, I hear they're at more than 7 dollars a pack!  Yikes.

It's all about who's in control, L, N, & J -- my money is on you guys. Make my April sing and rack up some really impressive numbers for us all to celebrate!

peteg

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 50
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,500
Amount Saved: $562.50
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 6 Mins: 52 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Lori and Neva and Jeff.  Today is like New Year's Day!

Put your mind into the quit and focus on your success.  The rewards are HUGE, particularly those in your 20's.  Get through the first couple weeks then you will see, feel and smell your life change before your eyes.

YOU will be in control of your being, your future, your life. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 72
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,160
Amount Saved: $594.00
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 20 Mins: 54 Seconds: 21

• Quit Meter

$50,416.83

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 3

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the SSC!  I have to echo a few of the comments below.  Quitting this habit is all about YOU!  You have to make the decision that it is time.  Others may persuade you, but ultimately the choice is yours.  I told myself for years that I needed to quit.  I never did anything about it.  It wasn't until I had a chat with with my Oncologist that quitting smoking needed to move up the priority list.  That was the kick in my butt that got me going, but ultimately it was all about ME!  Don't wait until you have a doctor helping you make the decision!!!  You need to be prepared so you are successful!  Go through "my program" so you have a plan in place.  Set up a reward system to celebrate each passed craving, each smoke free day, and each smoke free week.  Read, read, and read some more!  Use the search feature here to find topics specific to your situation.  Post as often as you need!  Add your quit meter to your posts from "my profile" so you can see your progress.  Neva and Lori, I hope you two can become online quit buddies.  Its always helpful to take this walk to smobriety with somebody else.  I hope many of the suggestions below can help both of you!  Just remember to take this one day at a time!  We're all rooting for both of you to be successful!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 224
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,960
Amount Saved: $1,792.00
Life Gained:
Days: 33 Hrs: 12 Mins: 9 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm going to chime in with Jeff.

That was the worst thing about looking back on 33 years of smoking. It's so depressing to think of all the harm I did to myself.  At the time I was thinking oh who cares... that is so far off until I'm old and HAVE to quit. The time goes faster than you think. It's much, much harder to quit later.

You have found the best place to quit! There is lots of support and the program is great.

Hang in there and get it done. The sooner the better!

best, 
HP

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 365
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,760
Amount Saved: $2,102.40
Life Gained:
Days: 47 Hrs: 22 Mins: 54 Seconds: 38

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to you too quitforgood1970

15 DAYS is Great!!!
Keep the Quit and Post if you need us.........

hugggg
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 64
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,920
Amount Saved: $268.80
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 12 Mins: 20 Seconds: 37

15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome new members...I just noticed you guys are both in your 20s....I remember when I wanted to quit in my 20s and I never did.  I kept telling myself, I'll quit when I'm 30, then it was 35....well now I'm 38 and I'm two weeks into my quit.  My point is to warn you guys about the likelihood that you will try and bargain with yourself.  You will think that because your young, that you may still have a few good smoking years left in you before you really have to quit.  Don't fall into that trap.  It just makes quitting harder.  Trust me.  Do it now...and never look back.  I wish you the best.

Jeff

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/17/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 15
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 150
Amount Saved: $51.23
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 7 Mins: 6 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
momma,

Welcome to our support community and please know that we can help you every step of the way.  Have you started to prepare?  Try making a basket full of items that can help with the hand and mouth association of the quit.

Use gum
candy
stress ball
magazines
crosswords

Add anything that will help you take your mind off the craves.  Please post with us if you need assistance as we are always here.

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 433 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Neva,
Welcome! 
You are so smart to quit. I just up and quit one day too. 
I saw this and had to give you a bit of encouragement.  

Read all you can here, get a plan and go for it!!!
Stick with your quit buddies and post here if you get a crave.

Best, 
HP

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 365
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,760
Amount Saved: $2,102.40
Life Gained:
Days: 47 Hrs: 22 Mins: 28 Seconds: 28

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lori and Neva, so good you guys are quitting at the  same time- a quit buddy is so special especially in these first few days-
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 326
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,150
Amount Saved: $4,890.00
Life Gained:
Days: 38 Hrs: 11 Mins: 54 Seconds: 14

Reading this thread: