Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

round number 3- desperate to quit- HELP

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pet, you will succeed, because you dont give up trying. Dont beat yourself up, the main thing is you come back and try again, and it is hard, in a million sorts of ways, all different for everyone. I didnt have a tough time with physical cravings, but the mental disconnection was very difficult-my whole world changed, I wasn't sure I liked it, but boy do I like it now.... you will get there I know.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 222
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,550
Amount Saved: $3,330.00
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 1 Mins: 57 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Petruchki,

Way to go on canning the pack of cigs!  Quitting smoking is a journey, keep working at it and you'll succeed.  Keep us posted on your progress with the program.  We're here to support you all the way! 

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Petruchki  Hungry , angry , lonely , and tired. Maybe we could add to that list of things that will start us back smoking again. How about hurt or slighted. A bruised ego maybe ? These are the things that will send us back if we let them. A broken shoelace is a surefire way to start smoking again if you don't have the tools to deal with it. At the very least a replacement lace is necessary. What works for me might not work for anyone else but I'll tell you what does work for me. It's so simple that given time everyone else would have thought of it as well. If I don't smoke a cigarette I never have to go through withdrawal again , ever. It's being able to see past today in the respect of if I smoke today I'll be a smoker tomorrow. Imagine never having to go through withdrawal again. It's the whole package not just that one cigarette. It's where it leads to and being able to see it. Full circle right back where we came from. All those nasty reasons that were the reason we wanted to stop in the first place. I think this is important so I'll say it one more time. We never have to go through nicotine withdrawal again , ever , if we don't want to. It really is that simple. We can do this. breather 36 Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 36
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,800
Amount Saved: $864.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 14 Mins: 40 Seconds: 43

15 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Petruchki,

Your dilema is common and dispite any labels that anyone would ever give, you are stronger than most.  I believe anyone that really puts their mind to it can make it through hell week, heck week, etc.  I think it takes more strength to fail and keep on putting yourself through hell week over and over again than to succeed the first time.  I did the same thing many times and I know it's not fun. 

You can quit, you can make it through the withdrawl but your problem is not coffee, water, straws, etc you can do that to help get you through, but what happens when your through?  You still want it.  I know you really want to quit as did I.  I remember driving down the road smoking my last cigarette throwing down the pack and talking to myself explaining how it's negatively affecting my life, health, financial situation, etc and then pulling into a parking lot and going into the store to buy my next pack.  I remember throwing 3/4 of a pack out the window cause "That's it I'm done" and then buying a new pack the next morning.  I would last for days, weeks, months and then I would have a fight or stress out over a problem at work or life and go back and I knew no one would ever call me on it.  I mean c'mon who's going to argue with a rabid nicotine deprived person like me.  Not anyone I knew anyways.  So I continued to smoke and everyone either bought or pretended to buy what I was selling but how did that help me?  It didn't and it never will.

Quitting ain't easy that's for sure.

I could give you advice on how to make it through the hard part of the quit but I don't think that's your peticular problem.  I think you are a strong person and I think.  I would recommend reading "Allen Carr's - The easyway to quit smoking."  It'll help with that part of the quit.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
If you have the illusion that hell looks like heaven will you ever be free?

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 135
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,240
Amount Saved: $1,012.50
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 12 Mins: 6 Seconds: 49

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pet!!!

I think I told you this before, but I pretty much lived on this site my first few weeks!!!  I read and read and read and then I posted a response to everyone who wrote anything here!!!  This was my distraction to keep my mind off smoking!!!   Do you know what???   IT WORKED!!!  

Stay close and let us help!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 287
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,175
Amount Saved: $1,183.88
Life Gained:
Days: 48 Hrs: 16 Mins: 56 Seconds: 55

• Quit Meter

$44,197.50

Amount Saved