Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

First time quitter

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Baggs, just echoing what everyone else says- come join us have fun and we will help you all we can when you need it- you sound so determined to see it through and of course as you said yourself you have your beautiful daughter as your incentive- it looks to me like you're all set to succeed, so welcome aboard !!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 199
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,975
Amount Saved: $2,985.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 9 Mins: 53 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Baggs................

I can only echo what the others have said.  If the going gets tough, come here for support and advice.

good luck

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 372
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,580
Amount Saved: $1,255.50
Life Gained:
Days: 59 Hrs: 19 Mins: 55 Seconds: 18

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Baggs and welcome to SSC there is alot of support here for you, sounds like you have lots of good reasons to quit and stay quit, let us support you, congrats on the already 4 days, almost done with hell week :)  Iam glad you are here, Happy First Smokefree Thanksgiving Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2301
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 55,224
Amount Saved: $9,664.20
Life Gained:
Days: 328 Hrs: 22 Mins: 13 Seconds: 29

15 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Baggs.  Welcome!  You'll find this group will be instrumental in your quit.  And yes, we are a bit crazy around here!  Best of luck and stick close - everyone will help you along.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 327
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,540
Amount Saved: $2,485.20
Life Gained:
Days: 34 Hrs: 16 Mins: 7 Seconds: 33

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the support. You all know what I'm going through this week and are there for me, which makes it a truly special support group.
I've already gone through a bag of sunflower seeds... they're the perfect distraction for now. It keeps my hands and mouth busy and has a smoky taste. We'll see how that works as the days go on.
I have looked at quite a few posted topics and see how interdependent everyone is on each other. I appreciate that and I fully expect that I'll be writing one of those "help me please!" posts before long. So far, so good... I have tons of cravings and excuses lined up but still have no desire to smoke. I know... it's counter-intuitive, but I'm learning nothing really makes sense when you're fiending for a cigarette. All I know is that I have to keep believing I'm not a smoker anymore!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/21/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12
Amount Saved: $3.30
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 15 Mins: 1 Seconds: 40

• Quit Meter

$4,648.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1031 Hours: 16

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hellog Baggs,

Lil is right, we are a crazy lot!!  But in a fantastic way that pulls us all through.  You are doing a wonderful thing and we are here to help you anytime you need it. 

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 355
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,650
Amount Saved: $1,331.25
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 21 Mins: 52 Seconds: 23

15 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Baggs

I am pleased you decided to join us ... it would have been so easy not to ... especially with those 4 smoke free days ... but why would you want to go it alone ... when you can have this crazy lot for company!!

Lil x

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 36
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 540
Amount Saved: �159.30
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 6 Mins: 55 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Baggs - I quit smoking last year on Thanksgiving day, with the help of Chantix.  I made my year on November 22nd.  I was bound and determined to quit and it's the only time I ever tried so it can be done.  I was a hard core smoker for a very long time.  You have great motivation to quit and I wish you the best.  Do set up your meter.  I found it very helpful to watch the days speed by, which made me more committed.  Also, I read, read, and read posts of all of us who were quitting.  Quite a good bit of advice there.  And by all means take Jim's advice of posting of cravings, then wait until you have five replies.  It really works, believe me.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 368
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,360
Amount Saved: $2,281.60
Life Gained:
Days: 47 Hrs: 5 Mins: 6 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Baggs,

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on taking the first steps to kickin' the habit! 

You've already gotten some really great advice from your fellow quitters! Preparation is key as this is an addiction. You need to figure out how your going to deal with cravings and what new habit you'll replace smoking with. (The program will help you do all this.) 

You'll also need to put into place a reward system. It should have three components: small one for after each craving, medium for the end of each smoke-free day and a bigger one for the end of each smoke-free week.

They say it takes the average person 7 quit attempts before they succeed, so don't be too hard on yourself.

We're here for you 24/7 if you have questions or need some feedback. We'll help you through this every step of the way and we'll help you make it stick!

Good luck on your quit and post often to let us know how you are doing!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Baggs!!!

Welcome to the SSC!!!  I'm sure Mike won't mind an additional Astro fan here on the site!  In fact I'm betting that he'll be as happy as a clam!!  Anyways, get settled in, set up you quit meter in your profile, go through the milestones in the program and keep your reasons for quitting right in front of you the first few weeks!  Your daughter really IS a worthy reason for starting the war on the nico-demon!!!  You just have to keep telling yourself that this is a war that you WILL NOT lose!!!

Just think, if you can make it past Thanksgiving without a smoke, the nicotine will be out of your system and from then on out, it's just a mental between you and that nasty ol' nico-demon!!!  Hey, if this 1 pack plus a day ex-smoker can whoop the demon, you can do it too!!!  And if you need a bit of help getting through a particularly powerful crave, get on here and post for help!!!!  Wait for 5 replies and by then your crave will be gone and you will have won another battle!!  All of your new quit buddies are waiting to help when you'll need it!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 264
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,600
Amount Saved: $1,089.00
Life Gained:
Days: 44 Hrs: 20 Mins: 11 Seconds: 1

• Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter