Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

The Relationship with my Therapist

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with everyone else. Good for you for sticking with what works for you. If it's working and you enjoy it then I certainly think you should keep doing it.

Thanks for sharing.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree. Good for you. It is you that knows what helps you, nobody else. Therapists are human, they have hobby horses, ways of seeing things which can become routine for them and get in the way of understanding the people they are genuinely trying to help. And when they start telling you what is best for you, contrary to your own experience, then it is time to move on. Nice one!

I, too, have had a journey through therapists until I've found one who is not tied to a rigid view or a particular treatment doctrine. In my case (we are all individuals, aren't we?) I've kind of travelled in the opposite direction from you - away from CBT techniques. I've never found CBT to be a help with my depression or my anxiety (quite the opposite, actually), and it seems to be the 'house style' here in the UK. I've finally found a therapist who relates to me and respects me as a unique individual and does not send me away with a shopping list of specious disorders to address and paper exercises to carry out. He has done me a world of good, or should I say that he has enabled me to do myself a world of good.
11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Eleveno... what a roller coaster ride.   Good for you for trusting your own knowledge of yourself and your reactions.  It takes great courage to challenge the professionals that are supposed to be helping.  I'm glad your pdoc supports your own knowledge and intelligence.  You really have done your research and studied the issues with scientific precision.  It's not like you are just avoiding things that make you uncomfortable.  You know what you need and I'm impressed at your strength and courage.  Maybe I can borrow a little bit of that from you.   Good job my friend.  Good job!
11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today it was the first day for the last 6 months that I felt therapy (psychodynamic) it was not beneficial. I had some disagreements with my therapist because he do not support my CBT activities which have been of great help. My therapist keep saying that my problem is anxiety and do not even bother addressing depression.

The last time I had a session with my therapist was 1 month ago and during this last month I felt great not needing his help. I only counted with my CBT activities and because of it depression (and anxiety) didn't affected me. In fact I made my second experience stop doing CBT activities and the result was depression coming back. Fortunately I resume the activities right away and things got back to normal. This demonstrates the effectiveness of CBT. Moreover I already have the activities integrated in my lifestyle and I do not bother doing the activities. I even enjoy doing it, it's like a game and a distraction for me.

I talk with my psychiatrist about my concerns with the therapist and he told me the best course of action at this time is to count only with myself if possible, and if I am doing something that helps me to keep doing it. He also told me that I came from a depression (with a nervous breakdown) and it is necessary to keep with the treatment. He said the main issue is the depression and the anxiety is a product of it. My psychiatrist advised me to quit the therapy because of the radical view of the therapist about depression and anxiety. He told me to be my own therapist if could do it with the help of the CBT activities I have been doing and have helped me.

It is also interesting to note that as I got better from depression the anxiety diminished also. Now I do not have any significant symptoms of depression nor anxiety. Actually I never thought that I had a problem with anxiety in my life until my therapist pinpointed this problem. About 2 months ago when I started feeling better about depression I also started paying attention to the anxiety (influenced by my therapist). I tried to find the anxiety very hard and I found it because I was too focused on it. It was only after talking with my psychiatrist that I calm down because he said that anxiety was not the main problem and it was not necessary to bother with it.

Reading this thread: