Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

I need help

6 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi 
Thank you for your attention , I live in a terrible place in a terrible country and the only things that can not be found around me is positive people. I'd love to have positive and good friends but I could not find. 

Hi again,  I had another thought....the first time I started medication for depression I found it did not work very well for me.  I was getting more anxious and irritable. My previous doctor referred me to a psychiatrist...do you know how long I've been waiting for an appointment with this psychiatrist???  10 years now...I live in Canada...the referral stated I experience suicidal ideation but apparently that's not a good enough reason to have a psychiatrist set an appointment with me.  

I experienced a bad bout of depression not too long ago.  And took myself to the hospital emergency department.  I got there, sat there for 3 hours while I watched everyone else that came after me with physical issues (cough, leg pain) get accepted before me.  So I decided to take this into my own hands because the mental health system in Canada mostly SUCKS

I found another doctor that was closer to me and they prescribed me another medication...it seemed to work for a while then my suicidal ideation came back.  They changed my meds again....then again....it's been an ongoing thing.

Anyways what has worked for me is just keep trying for a medication that works for me...I have a family doctor and pharmacist that works together...I let them know how I feel and I go in every couple weeks to follow up, if I had a freak out then we up the meds a bit, lower it in the summer, up it in the winter...etc.  So far that has been the best thing for me.

Hi there,

It is amazing you have this motivation to be a doctor.  For someone to want to get into that field for that purpose I feel you could be a great advocate for mental health.  I think that is a great motivation in itself, to want to better the field.  I don't know where you live but sometimes there are peer groups meet ups.  I myself am quite anxious to meet new people so I have not yet gone to one. 

If you are able to surround yourself with positive people that inspire you somehow....I have very few friends but I know the ones that have made an impact on my life had been somewhat of a cheerleader for me.

I dunno if this helps but I am quite moved by your story.

Maybe talk to you later
Thank you.
I have told my doctor all of this except assault.in my area can not be found a center or a good doctor but recently i have been able find a good psychologist but he is very busy and i can not see him regularly beside that i think that i need to a psychiatrist.
I try to complete my program. 
6 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so sorry to hear all you have been through. I think it is amazing that you are so determined to get well despite everything. Have you talked to your doctor about all this? Would your doctor be able to refer you to a counselor of some kind? What resources are in your area for counseling? There are many free services for people who have been assaulted.

This program helps with mild to moderate depression. Have you had a chance to get started on the program?

Ashley, Health Educator
there is no one there??
Hello
I am eighteen years old.I have been depressed for two years.First time that I went to a doctor,he only prescribed medication to me.
The problem causes i went to a doctor it was that i could not breathe and i feel somethings there is in my throat.
I consume that medications and my physical problem was treated but my mental problem not only not treated but also it got worse. 
I started to sleeping a lot and as well as other symptoms of depression,i got worse. 
and this situation cause i fail at school and lost my opportunities although i was a good and talented before that.
My family and my school do not understand  my situation and they blamed me .
I consumed that medications for a while but i tired and did not consume anymore.
And started effects of quit consume drugs,i had really bad headache and i could not shake mu head it was in this situation i was raped and i do not tell it to anybody. 
This situation continued until i decided change myself and situation because i want to be a doctor and because of my problem i failed in entrance exam so i went to another doctor,he prescribed medications to me and he said some repetitive words but i did not get the result again.
I want to change myself and my situation but i can not,i do not want to lost my opportunities i want to return to life and be a doctor so you tell me,what do i do??? 

Reading this thread: