Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

The depression loop

10 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

Thank you very much for your kindly reply and nice words. I hope everything is fine with you too 

It really helps me put things in perspective. I think someone in my situation would feel the same way, sometimes I forgot that depression is an human thing and we are allowed to feel depressed from time to time.
It is not allways appealling doing CBT in situations where depression persists but the fact is that it works with me!

At least I know what CBT techniques work to use on times like is to help me keep on track. I especially need to take care of me now that I have a big trigger to feed my depression.
10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno,

I'm sorry to read this. It is never easy when relapse occurs but as you know relapse is normal. It sounds like you pin pointed a few triggers and I think getting back to CBT is a very good idea. All the learnings you had from before are still there and I have a hunch with a bit of a refresher you will start to feel a bit better again. 

I know a bit about talk therapy and have heard good things about it but I also know not all types of therapies work for all people in every situation. You have to find what works for you, if you feel you have given it a good shot and it's not helping perhaps you should bring this up with your therapist?

I'm sorry to hear about the relationship trouble you have been having. When our closest relationships are in turmoil it can cause great distress and to some degree it is normal to be a bit depressed at times. Allow yourself to feel sad when you need to.

It sounds like you are already back on the road to getting the depression under control - just have faith that you will get it back under control again. Have faith in yourself. I really have no other advice to give you as I know you already know almost everything there is to know about CBT. I can already hear(read) you getting ready to battle this again...so keep doing what you are doing. We`ll be here for you whenever you need to vent or post.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

For some time now I haven't been posting here because things have been stable and I wanted to give a pause to CBT. Just doing the regular practice of yoga (4-5 times a week) which I love was very nice for helping to keep depression under control.

The problem is that I stopped doing CBT and for more than 1 month now I barely did yoga. I stopped these activities and I am having a marriage crisis at the same time with a problem that is more related to me than my wife and which I have to find a solution very soon. The result is that depression is coming back again for one more visit.

At least I already know that depression comes and go and I am starting CBT again, along with yoga, to see if things come back to normal. The big problem now is to make some important decisions about myself and my marriage. About 1 month ago I started talk therapy to help with these decisions but one more time I think this kind of therapy doesn't help me at all because I am finding myself now more depressed than 1 month ago and the problem still persists without helping me making any decision.
Depression sucks but I am learning to live with it one more time. Thank you for reading my post.

Reading this thread: