Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Tip of the Day

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What is making you feel intimidated?

What is the first step?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love the idea of a vision board.  I've never done one, but it sounds like something that would really help strengthen my goal-setting muscles.  I was gonna work on it this weekend but ... well... and then... before I could....

excuses, excuses, excuses.

I think i need help getting started ... i'm already stalled out... feeling intimidated.
I think that sounds like an excellent idea ~m.  Have you heard of vision boards? Vision boards are what some people create to help them stay motivated and think positively about a goal. They include pictures, words and quotes related to that goal and then spend time looking at it each day. Vision boards are are great but they do not create miracles (some people may think otherwise). Positive thinking is very important but postive action is essential when attempting to reach a goal. for this reason I like to call vision boards action boards and include written out goals and timeliness on the boards in addition to the images and quotes. Just thought I would mention it since you were thinking about creating a poster.

Ashley, Health Educator
Good question Ashley!  To help myself remember how to get out of a depressive phase I am going to post my three point list by my computer (and perhaps have it tattooed on my person ) so I can remember what to do when the next time comes.  I also would like to create some sort of art project (a poster maybe) that will have the same message because, for me,  "Doing" art really draws into my core self any newly gained information, knowledge, and insight.  Kind of like knowing at a visceral level instead of just head knowledge.
Excellent ~m!

Very happy to here

How will you remind yourself of this knowledge if you feel stuck again?

Ashley, Health Educator
Depression IS a phase.  What can help it go away?

Telling someone how you feel (online or in person) 

Remembering that with depression doing comes before motivation

Breaking doing into the smallest possible step you can do right now

I finally did these things yesterday and woke up with a whole new attitude today.  Such a relief!  I'm not lost.  All the coping skills I've learned are still accessible.  Scary how the depression can just bury all the positive... even more frightening is how quickly I believe the lies.  I am gratified and humbled at how quickly it lifted when I used my CBT skills to challenge it.  

Depression is only a phase 
Depression isonly a phase
Depression isonlyaphase
Depressionisonlyaphase
Depressionisphasical?
It comes and it goes
Itcomesanditgoes
Itcomesngoes
comesngoes
comes
goes
go
what makes it go?
I forget.

Be patient. Distinguish that you need to take small steps to recover, and that if you recover too quickly, you may sink back into depression again. Great rewards take long to obtain, but with patience, half the battle is already won. Depression is only a phase, and with the proper attitude and know-how, you can certainly pull through and have a better life.

Reading this thread: