Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Challenging Worry 4

11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There are a number of CBT techniques that are commonly used to help people challenge worry including: thought records, thought stopping, worry time, challenging the value of worry, problem solving, experiments to increase intolerance of uncertainty and cognitive exposure. Let’s take a look at them one at a time:

Challenging the Value of Worry: Many people who worry find it difficult to challenge their worry because of their basic beliefs about worrying. As we discussed before, worry a little about a problem makes some sense because it can lead to the identification of a problem and problem solving. On the other hand, worrying more that a little usually doesn’t get you any further ahead. Worrying that doesn’t lead pretty quickly to problem solving doesn’t get you anywhere. Unfortunately, many people who worry have beliefs about worrying that encourage them to worry more, rather than less. For example, if you have beliefs such as “Worrying makes me a better person,” Worrying helps me to solve problems,” “Worrying helps me do a better job,” and “Worrying about something makes it more likely that it will happen,” you may want to spend some time challenging those beliefs about worry and what worry does for you.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: