Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,485 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

Negative Core Beliefs

11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,

Great work you have done challenging you negative core beliefs.

Just an observation: For example, when challenging your negative core belief "I am too lazy" and you found this wasn't 100% true, this doesn't mean that your negative core belief is not true. Instead, it means that for example, you are lazy 40% of the time and not lazy 60% of the time (according to the evidence you found, you only need a rough estimation). Everybody is lazy from time to time and this is considered perfectly normal, what it is not healthy is being lazy all the time.

The same reasoning goes for the rest of your negative core beliefs.
11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Eleveno... that is an important distinction, isn't it?  Whether to try to "change" core beliefs or "challenge" them.  Trying to change them as been a total failure so far... likely for the reasons you state.  But challenging them? Surely I can do that after all the practice challenging negative thoughts and behaviors through the first 7 sessions.  I was not able to get myself through the homework yesterday but I did use your advice to CHALLENGE the negative thoughts that were tripping me up.

I can't do this -- not true, I have learned to challenge myself (successfully so)

I don't want to do this -- True... but  not 100% true as I want to have a healthy and sound mind and am, in fact, willing to do/try whatever it takes.  So ultimately ... not true?

I'm too stupid to do this -- well that's just not true in any way, shape or form and I KNOW that!

I'm too crazy for this to help -- I suppose that might be true, but I have been tremendously helped by my previous CBT work here so it's not likely and worth the attempt.

I can't sort through these thoughts -- if I'm persistent I do eventually get through these sorts of problems.

I'm too lazy -- sometimes yes I am lazy and sometimes not but it's a choice I can make.  Overall, I am not a lazy person so if it isn't 100% true ... then it's not true?

What possible good can come from this? -- What do I possibly have to lose by doing this?  Lose the negative outlook and gain a  positive one?  I'm all for that.

Why didn't I do this right the first time? -- wasn't ready... duh!

etc, etc, etc....

I found this challenging to be rather productive and feel stronger and better prepared to challenge the negative core beliefs that need my attention.

Thank you for the support and encouragement and that little push to see things differently.  
Making progress...  

11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,

It is not expected for us to change completely our core beliefs (I think it is even impossible for a human to do that) . It is better to think in terms of an alternative and more realist view about our core beliefs based on the evidence we found. This is the same as challenging our negative core beliefs (different from changing).

For example, working on the negative core belief "I am unlovable" as Ashley mentioned. Suppose you have this core belief. If you look into the past you could find evidence who supports "I am unlovable" as well as evidence who supports "I am lovable". Finding some evidence "I am lovable" means in fact you are not 100% unlovable. The conclusion is that you are somewhat lovable, or on other words: in some situations you was unlovable but there were also other situations where you was lovable.

Our depressive thoughts makes us to see things in black and white but most things in life are in between. If we stop and look for the facts we will find the gray areas, which are different from our accepted 100% negative core beliefs.

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck ~m! But you don't need it you are courageous, intelligent and strong. You can face these negatives. We will help you through the whole process.

This is the core of the Depression so expect to feel a bit scared. But this is the stuff that lays the foundation to a healthy mind. Try to think of it as an opportunity and not a challenge because it really is.

Right here beside you,

Ashley, Health Educator
so.... going back over Session 8 on Core Beliefs.  In truth, I kinda sorta skipped through those and didn't actually do all of the homework sheets   Today I read through and printed out the dreaded worksheets.  Will attempt to fill them out soon... um, tomorrow? ... ok, ok I do dem today.   My depressive/negative thoughts are lining up like little soldiers for the assault. 

I can't do this
I don't want to do this
I'm too stupid to do this
I'm too crazy for this to help
I can't sort through all these thoughts
I'm too lazy to do the homework
What possible good can come from stirring this shtuff up AGAIN
Why didn't I do this right the first time 

Wow... got a whole battalion here.  Those are just the early scouts.
Maybe I should log off and do the homework before the rest of them get here.
Gotta go.  Bye.  Wish me luck? 
got lots of 'em
do know where they come from
still not able to change 'em ... much.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Core beliefs are what you believe about yourself, others, the world and your future. The formation of our core beliefs begin when we are young and are rooted in our experiences as children and adolescents.

Our core beliefs are usually unspoken or outside of our immediate awareness. They are often accepted as 100% true and rarely examined for accuracy.

Negative core beliefs are associated with many issues such as low self-esteem, self-worth, depression and anxiety.

A negative life event can activate negative core beliefs about the self, others, the world & the future.

Some examples include …

* A lay-off from work or a break-up could result in feelings such as feeling unlovable or useless

Have you ever experienced a negative core belief? Where do you think you formed them?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: