Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

That one post

11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vincenza,

I found the trick with CBT (for continuation purposes) is doing the less activities as possible with the objective of maintaining the gains. The activities I mentioned complement each other and they are second nature for me now. I will give you an example:

Each morning I update the mood tracker. I also take the opportunity to visit the forums and read last posts and write something if I want to (about 20 minutes for these activities).

When I have an intense depressive or anxious thought (only a few times, not everyday) I write a thought record. If after 2 or 3 thought records things do not get easier I start the activity tracker (very seldom now). I stop doing the thought records and activity tracker when I do not have any more symptoms of depression.

For relaxing purposes generally I do some yoga and meditation after finishing work and this basically killed the anxiety that I had.

At first it seems a lot of work and but I already have these activities included in my lifestyle and I do not question it anymore. Moreover I am finding my self more and more involved in living again (working on goals, doing exercice, having a social life, etc).

The final objective is stopping doing all the CBT activities but I plan to do it slowly and take one day at a time. It took me considerable trial and error along the way until I found this plan but the rewards are great: living life without depression and anxiety.
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi eleveno,

Thanks for sharing your plan again - it is a very powerful post and I'm sure it has inspired others on this site.  Do you find the CBT work is becoming easier for you?  Which activity has been most effective for you (# 1 on your list)?

Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The post that it is still making a difference for me is my relapse prevention plan (A first plan). I will rewrite this post again:

" However I still need to work on something and came up with the following plan which is based on the CBT techniques that have worked with me so far:

1. I plan to use one or more of the following activities: Mood Tracker, Activity Tracker and Thought Records.
  2. It is good to calm down my racing mind and will keep practicing relaxing activities such as yoga and meditation. For me these are pleasant activities which is a bonus.
  3. I am not alone in this fight against depression and I will keep participating in online support groups.
  4. From time to time I will think in the things I am thankful for so I could reinforce my positive core beliefs
I already have some evidence that working on the points I mentioned it is enough to lower my levels of depression and anxiety. I also noticed that when my levels of depression and anxiety are low I naturally start being more communicative and assertive, do pleasant activities more frequently and work on goals."

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is important to know that as members and moderators, we are always here for support and knowledge.  It is also important to realize that by sharing we can all assist and learn from one another.  Take the time this week-end to find that one post that made a difference for you.

Share with us and continue to post support, you never know who it will help.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: