Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Control is an Illusion

11 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno,

I came across several posts and threads with your signature and they are a joy to read because of the identification that I feel! When reading your thread about "worry time" I was intrugued and considering immediately if I should do the same. While reading your insights on this matter, I started remembering something very important about ... control. And there it was: a new thread about how control is an illusion.
In AA I learned a lot about this illusion, and how easy is it to forget! Only when I am very aware (or am forced to be...) I can see that Im doing it again: trying to control things. For years and years i  didn't see how big a part of my life this was. Obviously I came to AA and had to admit I was powerles over alcohol, but when I travelled further on that journey, I discovered I am powerless over almost everything and everyone! And what a relief it was!
For me, it made it easier to let go of a lot of things. And be more realistic about what I CAN do, instead of feeling powerless (in a negative way). Deep down I felt that my life would only mean something if I became something of a mix between Gandhi and Germaine Greer, solving Great Big World Problems as I went. How I beat myself up for not being able to do the smallest thing! It was only later I realized I DID do small things, they just didn't count to me.

I admire your systematic work on this disease, and thank you for reminding me that control is an illusion, that striving for control can harm us seriously. 

Diamond 

11 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome insight Eleveno... you put into words, what I could not!
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno,

Thank you for sharing this very important point of view. I think many members can relate to what you are saying about CBT and the enormous amount of forms.  Your post seems timely as we have just had a discussion with our advisor (Dr. Farvolden) and we will soon be cutting down the number of forms we use at the Depression Center. We also hope to have online forms. So it sounds like we are moving in the right direction - your input has helped us get there so thank you!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After several attempts to control my anxiety without any success I knew that something was wrong in my thinking. The more I tried to control my anxiety the more anxious I became.
It was after reading some passages of Dr. Joseph J. Luciani work that I understood what was happening with me. Dr. Joseph said (with his clinical experience) that controlling life is not the answer but the problem. The more we try to control our lives the more is the perception that we need to have more control ending in a vicious cycle and adding more frustrations to our lives. That was exactly what was happening with me.

Dr. Joseph said also (with is clinical experience) that everybody have insecurities and that worrying, looking for perfectionism, etc. are methods to try controlling and bring more security to our lives. The problem is that when we overdue the use of these methods leading to anxiety and depression.

In this way, and in most cases, anxiety and depression could be considered a bad habit of trying to have more control and to bring more security in our lives. Fortunately these bad habit could be unlearned which is good news for most of us.

With all that I have been learning I still think that CBT (along with medication for moderate to severe cases) is the most efficient method to unlearn the bad habits of depression and anxiety.

But CBT has a flaw which I find in most CBT programs: the overuse of too many and sometimes complicated worksheets which confuse people and discourage them to keep with the program. Here an experienced CBT therapist could be of great help.

I do not want with this to say that a self-help program is not useful. On the contrary, the CBT program of DC was very important for my recovery from depression. The problem was that I didn’t know when to stop and thought that there was always a worksheet or exercise for every problem in my life. This lead me to a substantial increase in my anxiety feeling overwhelmed for several times. I learned by myself when enough was enough and how having completely control is an illusion.

Reading this thread: