Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Side Effects

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno,

I'm sorry to hear insomniais still a problem. I hope the doctor offers you a solution that is just right for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Stay strong,

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Samantha,

That's right. Antidepressants treat depression but have also side effects. I have been experiencing several side effects including sexual problems, blurred vision, weight lost, insomnia and irritability.

The only one that is persistent now is insomnia. Today I will have an appointment with my doctor where I will bring this side effect (insomnia) and how to treat it.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Antidepressants may cause a variety of mild and usually temporary side effects (sometimes referred to as adverse effects) in some people. Typically these are annoying, but not serious. However, patients should be encouraged to immediately report any unusual reactions or side effects. The most common side effects of tricyclic antidepressants are:
•    Dry mouth
•    Constipation
•    Bladder problems
•    Sexual problems
•    Blurred vision
•    Dizziness
•    Drowsiness as a daytime problem
•    Weight gain
•    
The SSRIs and newer antidepressants have somewhat different side effects:
•    Headache
•    Nausea
•    Nervousness
•    Agitation (feeling jittery)
•    Sleep problems
•    Sexual problems
•    
Most of the medications that are prescribed to treat depression are usually started at a low dose and then the dose is gradually increased to the full dose. Every medication has side effects, but they usually become tolerated or diminish with time.

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: