Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Managing Family Stress over the Holidays

12 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

You have such a great attitude. I'm sure it will all go off fine. Make good use of those dogs!
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m,

Good for you for making choices that are right for you. Sorry to hear you are stuck with addressing this gathering but it sounds like you have a good plan. What are some small pleasures you can enjoy and focus on while there?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, so  I canceled the Christmas eve thing at my house (avoiding family) and then dh turns around and accepts an invitation for us to go have dinner at his ex-wife's house as my step-daughter and new husband will be home for the holidays (avoiding not possible... well, possible but awkward).  So how will I manage this get together?

Fortunately, there are two dogs in the family, so I can always go out and play with them if things get tense and I need a break.  I think I used to smoke as an excuse to leave a party and go outside and be alone for a bit.  Now I just pray that there is a critter roaming somewhere that I can go hang with.  They are so much easier than people!

My other strategy is to tell myself that I can, in fact, be uncomfortable for an hour or two or three and come out the other side just fine... needing quiet and rest... but still ok.  This was a real breakthrough that I picked up doing the CBT.  I can feel ... awkward, upset, lonely, angry, afraid, uncomfortable, sad.... I can tolerate these feelings because they will pass and balance will be restored.  Feelings do not have to spiral out of control and get worse and worse until it feels like the end of the world.   

So, I know it will be uncomfortable, but I also know that dh needs me to be there for him.  Thinking of his needs does indeed make it easier to tolerate my own discomfort.  I will plan for a good space of quiet time for myself throughout the holidays and probably bow out of most other engagements.  Just keeping the balance. 
12 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: ~m
avoid them as much as possible ??? 
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And if that's not possible?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
avoid them as much as possible ??? 
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

We’ve all seen the movies of the picture perfect holiday dinner. If only this were reality! Unfortunately, many of us have family issues that can make holiday parties a stressful event forcing us to go back to some of our old unwanted behaviours or fill the day with horrible emotions.

To help make the holiday a happier time of year try to compose a list with your family of all of the things that have to be done to have a happy and stress free day. Include things that have to be done, what would be nice and what you can live without. Once you’ve created this list, try delegating tasks amongst family members. Some people like to cook, others clean, kids usually love wrapping presents and decorating. Spread the weight of the seasons work to all family members.

If family members don’t get along, remember that you are not responsible for everyone’s happiness. Try to encourage team work to make the day as pleasurable as possible.
Members, any tips for dealing with family stress on the special day?

Samantha, Health Educator 

Reading this thread: