Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Depression and Chronic Illness

12 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,  

I have type 2 diabetes and  it will be three years in January since my diagnosis.   I take meds three times a day.  It is hard at times, you need to eat at certain times and take the meds at the same time everyday.  Yesterday was hellish at work and lunch was two cigarettes.  So now I feel bad because  I didn't eat and then stress that I might have low blood sugar on my drive home.  Which is scary as hell when you are driving down the 401, the first time it happened I thought I was getting a migraine.  I never pulled over I drove all the way home and just felt horrible.  I do 80km round trip 5 days a week for work.

Diabetes is in my face every moment of the day,  what I eat and the time I eat.  And I think in the back of my mind I know this disease can affect different parts of my body.  That if it isn't controlled which at the moment it is but my main diabetes pills are at the max daily dose.  I may be on insulin which is a whole other ball game.

Every three months I have to go to the doctor for blood tests, I take 17 pills a day. 

Baye
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

It's fairly common that people with a chronic illness also have clinical depression. That's because a chronic illness does more than affect a person's physical well-being. A chronic illness, such as diabetes or heart disease, has a major impact on a person's lifestyle and even on a person's sense of self.

Examples of chronic illnesses include type 1 or type 2 diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, kidney disease, HIV/AIDS, lupus, multiple sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's disease, and cancer.

Are you currently living with a chronic illness? How do you think your health status plays into your depression?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: