Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Myth or Fact

13 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
   Some kind of talk works.  Some kind of talk do not work.

Some kind of talk are just talk and have no effects.
  Some kind of talk will make you feel worse or  delay the essential action needed.
  Some kind of talk will make you feel better.

Check out what kind of talk(context, content, person, subject) works for you or do not work for you.
13 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My closest friends are aware of my depression and they are very supportive and they are always there to listen to me when I need it. They do not judge me but I still feel sometimes that I shouldn't be 'bothering' them as much as I do, in spite of their reassurance that is ok to talk about it!! (guilt anyone?!) I think that's also why I have found this forum so helpful. People here understand me, either be a forum member, or a health educator, but they know what I am talking about and that makes it easier to talk about it, if you know what I mean. Friends are fantastic but I needed this too.

Also not all friends have the ability to empathize or know intuitively what to say when it comes to depression. In spite of the fact that they may have your best interest at heart, they may not know what to say or how to deal with it. I am truly grateful for having the friends I have almost always they are extremely supportive.
13 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love this! I'm so glad you brought this up. For the past few years I absolutely refused to go see a therapist again because I was so sick of trying to fix my depression and way of thinking, but I realized a month ago that I really need to start working on myself again. Ignoring my problems really got me no where because I crashed so much harder when I didn't try and figure out what I truly need (i.e. self-kindness, not self-criticism).

I still have a lot of trouble bringing up my depression with anyone other than my therapist because I'm afraid it will be tiresome and annoying. One of my best friends told me a few years ago that I was "too much," and that really affected me. How do others deal with this?

13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Myth: Talking about depression only makes it worse.
Fact: Talking through feelings may help you feel better and family and friends may understand you better. Talking about your depression and feelings is a sign that you are ready to deal with your depression and learn how to live a happy, healthy life. So talk, talk, talk…

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: