Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Contributing Factors of Depression

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing, Wildcat. It sounds like you have a lot of insight. Remember also that you are not your depression!

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi
I guess I have several risk factors... My father was bipolar so I am stuck with the flavour of the month. There are several of his cousins that are sczho as well.  I really never learned to deal with stress well, it came from everywhere and I did not have any good examples. Now, I have my thyroid that is not functioning properly and am often hypo... so the hormones are out of balance. 
However, I am getting the trick to remaining more calm during my smaller episodes.  I remember that what I am feeling is a pain like something a physical illness would put me through. I need to manage it like a chronic pain from a back injury or a colesterol problem.  I will have limits and I will have moments that are $%?&.  And then poof, I am back to being me. I knkow that there are specific things that will make me ill; stress, sleep-deprivation, diet changes, hormonal changes. Then there are the surprises that my brain and thyroid wll spring on me.
It is not easy! I have cried and wished a million wishes ... prayed a lot of things ... And I hope I have not given the same lottery ticket to my children.  It hurts when all the faulty logic comes rushing in and and all I believe is that I am not a worthy human. It hurts when I remember all the errors I made since I was 3 yrs old and beaten... In normal times I have worked through my issues, but in the bad times, It is Not Easy.   I remember: This Will Pass. It is My Illness That That Is remembering, Is Thinking. This Will Pass.
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

There’s no single known cause of depression. Research indicates that it is likely a combination of factors. Genetics, biochemical, environmental and physiological factors can all individually or collectively contribute to depression.

Studies have shown that the brains of people who have depression are different from those without, indicating that depression is a disorder of the brain. Parts of the brain that are responsible for mood regulating, thinking, sleeping, appetite and behaviour appear to function abnormally. Additionally, the neurotransmitters (communicators in the brain) appear to be out of balance.  

As mentioned above, depression can run in families, can be caused by environmental factors such as stress, or it can be the result of a trauma or loss. Think about some of the contributing factors to your depression and share them with us.

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: