Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Your top 3 - Good Deeds

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As a caregiver, it's almost a reflex to be kind.  Today at the hospital, where I spent 8 hours, I did hold the door open for someone, tip the cabs generously, be courteous to the ER nurses, who are under great stress.

Sometimes I wonder if there is room for kindness, when I feel like a martyr, but I suppose it's relative, isn't it?

11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Meghan!

I'm so proud of you for going through with helping your friend!  When you face your fears, despite the temporary uncomfortable feeling, you are well on your way to overcoming anxiety.  You didn't avoid it and you are brave and strong.  I'm really impressed.  I know what courage that took, because I used to have terrible panic attacks when driving in the car, so I really felt for you.  I don't have panic attacks anymore.  I still get high anxiety sometimes, but I am able to manage it through the coping skills and support on this site.  Good job!  Keep at it!

Your friend, Shari
11 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Recently a friend of mine was desperate, and really needed a ride to work. Normally I would have said yes in a matter of seconds, because I really enjoy helping others. This time, however, I was hesitant because my anxiety kicked in. I had a lot of fear and a lot of negative thoughts to go through. Basically my number one fear was having a panic attack in front of a friend and be embarrassed...But I decided to take her. It was very uncomfortable the whole way there, although I doubt she noticed. I felt so good for doing this, and she was very grateful. 

Shari- I actually really love your idea of complimenting the people you come n contact with. I know I feel nice when I get a lovely compliment from a stranger, so why not return it and make others feel good? :)
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Samantha,

Every day, when I go out, I look for one thing I like about a person to compliment them.  Like a cashier who has pretty nails or hair, or pretty jewelry.  I also tell guys if their hair looks cool or something.  It makes me feel good and it makes the other person feel good, because it's a sincere compliment.  I think it brightens their day.  They smile and seem to stand straighter and are friendlier to the next customer in line.  I also help people with the door, or let them go first or help them pick up something if they dropped it off of the shelf.  We've all had times where a display has been knocked over and I always say something to diffuse the situation, so they relax and not feel embarrassed.  So, those kinds of things in general.  I try to make the lives of others better.  I think the little things are as important as the big things :)

Shari 
11 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Members,

There are so many benefits to being generous and doing good deeds. What are the top 3 kind gestures (big or small) that you have done for someone? How did you feel after performing these acts? How did the other person react to your gesture?

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator   

Reading this thread: