Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Using your Values as your Compass II

11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

I came up with 22 values.  I can't wait to see the next step in the process :)  

Shari
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sounds good Ashley, Health Educator
I agree with you :)  I am coming up with more instances and I am adding to my list.  If I have trouble coming up with what my values are from the instances, I'll post the stories and see what you come up with.  And, once I have my list, I'll wait till you post what to do next :)  I'm really enjoying this process and I'm excited for the possibilities.

Thanks!  Shari
Hi Shari,

It looks like you have pin pointed a few of your values.

In your first story it it is clear that peace and freedom are main values. Other values could also be independence, nature, and spending time with animals. What do you think?

If you could think up a few more instances like this you will be able to pull out even more values. Keep a list of all of them for now.

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,

My high point in life:  I was horseback riding; carefree and in the moment.  I was on my Grandmother's farm by myself on a horse.  I remember the wind blowing in my hair and I had peace and freedom.

My biggest pet peeve is:  People who are rude to cashiers and servers. As you said in your post that means I value kindness and consideration.

I'm in flow when:  I'm painting.  Twelve hours goes by fast and I forget to eat.

Shari
Sometimes we can lose our way. Sometimes we get so caught up in what we need to do and forget about what we want to do. If we stay like this for too long we may start to feel unsatisfied with life. Leading a life that you value and that gives you fulfillment is important to your health and well being. When you feel fulfilled you are happier, more confident and more productive. For the next while we will be talking about values; how to figure out what you value and then direct your life towards those values.

Last discussion we asked you to write out your values in list form. Hopefully you are starting to make quite a list. If you are having trouble here are a few strategies:

1.    Think about a high point in your life. A time when you felt very happy and fulfilled. It doesn’t have to be a perfect time, just a time that sticks out in your memory. What were you doing? How were you acting? Where were you? Who were you with? What did you like about that time? What stands out to you?
2.    What are your pet peeves? Normally when we have a strong dislike for something when we reverse it we can see a value. For example, if you hate rude people you probably value kindness and consideration.
3.    When are you in flow? According to Wikipedia, “flow is a mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement and enjoyment of the process of activity”

Write down your memories and thoughts here and we can help you pull the values out.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: