Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Art Therapy

11 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the very nice post Shari. Posts like that really make my day. I forwarded it to my co-workers and bosses They get inspired in their work when they hear about people like you. Even the IT guys get a little choked up at times

Hugs, now that you have aged or better have become wiser what would you like to tell those critical voices?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Hugs!

Shari :)
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
I've tried everything except "graphic design", at some point in my life.  I've never felt "artistic" or thought I had ability, except with writing a bit.

I suppose as I've aged, I've internalized some critical messages that give me the freedom to do whatever I felt at the time. 

Great to hear from you Shari

11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To answer your question, "Yes!"  I've done just about everything on the list.  I am an artist by nature and I feel so much better when I am able to create things.  It's fun to work on a project and see a beautiful result.  It's very relaxing and purposeful.  If I am stressed, and there is no one to talk to, I write down everything that's bothering me and get it all out on paper.  Then I burn the paper in my wood burning stove.  It's therapeutic to get it off your chest and watch your problems burn up and disappear.  I have to say that it is a comfort to post and read posts on this site.  You are always there for us and it is comforting to know you are not alone.  What I appreciate most is, even if you haven't posted for a long while, you can still come back and be accepted and encouraged for what you are currently going through.  And, it is such a boost and relief and it truly helps.  I needed everyone to get through a stressful time and the results are amazing.  Mere words cannot express my appreciation and gratitude.

God Bless Everyone, Shari
11 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Often times it can be very difficult to express ourselves out loud to ourselves or to a therapist. For this reason, some therapies are not focused on using creativity for personal expression. Art therapy can include:

•    Journaling
•    Painting
•    Water colors
•    Clay
•    Knitting or needlepoint
•    Sketching
•    Writing
•    Poetry
•    Drawing cartoons
•    Learning to play a musical instrument
•    Theatre
•    Dance classes
•    Crafting
•    Sewing
•    Composing music
•    Making a movie
•    Photography
•    Graphic Design
•    Fashion Design

Have any members had a positive experience expressing themselves creatively?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: