Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Overgeneralization

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
I have to say that I've often made the statement that something happened once, and have avoided it so often in the past...I'll mine for some more specific examples this week.   Different reactions are usually indicating the lack of rationality in that stance...but that's just "where I was".
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

This week we will be focusing on overgeneralization. An overgeneralization error happens when people make general conclusions based on specific situations. It’s making a mountain out of a mole hill.  For example, if somebody doesn’t smile and say “hello” right away, a person may thinks “they must be angry at me.” Another example would be if a person find themselves in an uncomfortable position and their heart starts to race, they begin to think “I am going to have a heart attack” or “I am going to faint”.

How often do you find yourself overgeneralizing? Today we challenge you to keep count with a pen and paper. Let’s challenge these and think or some ways to reverse these thoughts.

Don’t forget to post your results here! 
Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: