Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,476 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Managing Family Stress over the Holidays

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  Go and celebrate with an open mind.  Forget the past for just that one day.  If someone says something, or something happens, ignore it.  It's just the one day. Don't make a big drama out of anything.

Concentrate on making if fun for the children, if there are children present.  That will be your gift to them, ease the tensions.  Children feel tension around them.

If something does happen that you just absolutely can't tolerate, excuse yourself graciously and leave with a smile, wishing everyone a good day.

Sometimes you can be an "actor" for the good.  I'm not saying ignore your legitamate feelings, rather, just let it go for the one day.  You may still have the anger, hurt or what you are feeling, but you will feel better if you are mature about it.

My two cents,
Sunny
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here is a good Red Neck way to deal with Holiday stress. Load the shotgun with rock salt and keep it at the head of the table. Anyone who complains gets a forty foot head start.

Just kidding. I have no solutions for dealing with bad holiday situations. I can deal with me and so I will not let anyone ruin mine. (without the shotgun)

I do remember though some pretty bad holidays but seem to have blocked out exactly why. I have some pleasant memories and these are not blocked. 

Davit.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

We’ve all seen the movies of the picture perfect holiday dinner. If only this were reality! Unfortunately, many of us have family issues that can make holiday parties a stressful event forcing us to go back to some of our old unwanted behaviours or fill the day with horrible emotions.

To help make the holiday a happier time of year try to compose a list with your family of all of the things that have to be done to have a happy and stress free day. Include things that have to be done, what would be nice and what you can live without. Once you’ve created this list, try delegating tasks amongst family members. Some people like to cook, others clean, kids usually love wrapping presents and decorating. Spread the weight of the seasons work to all family members.

If family members don’t get along, remember that you are not responsible for everyone’s happiness. Try to encourage team work to make the day as pleasurable as possible.
Members, any tips for dealing with family stress on the special day?

Samantha, Health Educator 

Reading this thread: