Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Stress and Anxiety

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,
Christmas is pretty isolated for me since I don't have any friends, but I suppose I could be stressed out running around like a lot of others.  I try to read daily spiritual stuff, and it's special that way.  I might send cards at the end of the month to out of town people I know.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"Visa loves me this I know, all these bills tell me so." The best gifts I get are something some one made. The worst are lottery tickets. (if you don't win a roll of toilet paper would be worth more). 
I sound like scrooge but actually I like to look at all the lights people put out. We still get carollers here too. I still bake a traditional cookie and make steamed suet pudding with hard sauce. 
Yes CBT to change the over spending core belief would be good. Do you think the economy could handle it? 
We are going to string popcorn and cranberries and put it in our cherry tree for the birds for the fun of it. Well I will string it but I am not wading the snow to the tree.
Sunny is baking cookies too and decorating.
I still think it is possible to have a stress free holiday. 
Snow is still hanging in the trees and we expect more. It is lovely even though trees keep falling and taking the power out. We have a wood cook stove for back up and lots of candles.
Years ago I did cook the turkey in it. 
Holidays are what you make of them. They are supposed to be fun aren't they? We are going to have fun.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Davit.

Maybe we should do a little CBT program to change people's core beliefs on spending, then we would be all set!

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley

I minimize the importance of the holiday season and spend time doing me things. Right now I am spending time in my shop doing something that has no time limit on it. No time limit, no pressure. Amazing how much stress people go to to make the perfect holiday when just keeping it simple and enjoying it would be a lot easier. Most common comment in the restaurant after Christmas is, "thank God that is over". We still have lights and a tree and stockings. We will have a turkey, but all this running around getting last minute stuff is in the past. It was fun when I could do it and wanted too. Times change. More spirit less spending.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
During the holiday season, stress levels can reach their peak, leading to an increase in anxiety and sudden onset of panic attacks. Your body’s physical and emotional reactions to stress are determined by your sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The SNS produces the fight or flight reaction in response to stress leading to an increased heart rate, muscle tension, increased blood flow and respiration. If you are constantly being exposed to stressful situations (ie. the holiday season) this may cause your SNS to overreact and be constantly stimulated. This constant stimulation can lead to depleted energy reserves and emotional and physical exhaustion. It’s important that during times of high stress we learn how to manage our stress levels.

Members, what are some of the ways that you manage your stress levels during the holiday season?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: