Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,483 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

Tip of the Day

12 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

That's right! Coping skills will come more naturally the more you use them. 

Nice comparison with making bread...you really captured the idea well!

Sonia
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Might have.

That is the thing with getting better. At first you have to think to do the relaxation and distraction skills you use as part of your coping skills and then somewhere along the line you just do them. Well you do if you have actually been doing them and they are part of your coping skill. If you haven't then they aren't in your memory and accessible to do subconsciously.
It is like this. I don't use a recipe to make bread because I do it often enough that it is in my memory to use when I need it. If you asked me how much flour I use I couldn't tell you. I use enough for it to feel right. 

Davit.

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Relax, and simply sit down and do nothing but breathe. Start with simple breathing techniques, deep long rhythmic breathing. This will help you to find your center and balance. You will feel a great sense of calmness and any tensions will be released.

Have you used deep breathing techniques in the past week?

Reading this thread: