Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Sugar Substitutes

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
O2 transfer is very efficient, a couple of deep breaths will take it from 96% to over a hundred. But if you are using it faster than you can replace it then what?

I found that when I was anxious I breathed too slow and too shallow. My sister in law used to get sleepy in traffic in the middle of the city. She now does what I do. I use my water bottle to do arm curls and co-ordinate my breathing to it. It is also a distraction good for anxiety. Sitting in a car is not like sitting on a horse. Sitting in a car is too close to sitting up in bed.
Automatics make it worse because people don't shift even though they can if they want too.
(it saves on the brakes) I always down shift on long slow winding hills.

I have a friend with syncope. She hasn't fainted since getting her anxiety under control. 

Davit
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, this was a most enlightening post.  As background, my first panic attack coincided with me being dehydrated and needing emergency care.  I was very dizzy and lost coordination which was pretty frightening.  So now, when I experience dizziness (my doctor and therapist believe that my dizziness is caused by anxiety - but it could also be caused by my diet), I feel anxious.  It seems to me that I should increase my calcium (and call the dietician!).  Also, I had been experiencing panic attacks in the middle of my exercise and perhaps that is related to my 02 levels.  Learning new things gives me so many tools to use - I love it!
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is more to it than that. Some old wives tales and rules from the bible are based on fact. Here is one. "don't boil a kid in it's mother milk" Disgusting hey. It means do not mix meat and milk products together because iron and calcium bind together and are both wasted. Low iron and you have low O2 saturation. Low O2 and you have weakness and confusion. Low calcium and you have muscle problems and co-ordination. Calcium should be on an empty stomach also.

Some foods pass into the blood stream and cause allergies if you have leaky gut too. Candida loves sugar. Sugar and yeast makes CO2 and alcohol. Not good in either your lungs or intestines.

Oh and sugar alone has half a dozen different formulas. Some good some bad. 

What foods have you found you don't tolerate and at what times of the day?

Davit.
This is great to know, Hugs.  I learned a couple of weeks ago that as part of our health care benefits, I am able to visit with a nutritionist (I can't remember how many times).  What I am thinking now is that perhaps I can find a nutritionist who knows a thing or two about how the food we eat impacts mood and anxiety.  That would be a gift.  I took up running this year which helped my weight and my mood very much - but I definitely believe that I have opportunities for positive changes in my diet.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Carmie,
   Over a year, I reduced my blood pressure(consequently my medicated was reduced) and rest heart rate,weight, inches off my waist and have more energy.  I even got a compliment from someone from the gym this week, and dietary changes were much of reason, although I didn't go on a diet, I just watched the quality of food and portions with general best practises after taking a course by a nutritionist at night, as well as healthy cooking courses.

My mood is more level too.  I just wish I'd done it earlier, just like everything else in my life, but better late than...

Hugs4U - I love those songs.  Some friends and I were going to start a bubble gum band, playing songs like those but it never took off.  Because my anxiety often manifests itself as dizziness, I have also had the song "Dizzy" on my mind (It's similar to those other two songs - but not about sugar).
I have to confess that I use sugar substitutes quite a bit.  I have Spenda in my coffee and I used to have caffeine-free diet coke at lunch. I would love to make some diet changes so that I have a more natural diet! 
My excuse for eating too much sugar is conditioning from songs like "Sugar" by the Archies and "Yummy,yummy,yummy i've got love in my tummy" by Ohio Express.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, I like honey and also raw sugar, not the processed white stuff.

Sunny

Honey is a substitute with good shelf life.

I read those labels and shudder

Reading this thread: