Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Cognitive triangle

12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Davit,

I found this cognitive triangle fascinating..Last night I did some research on line about it and also found a very good web site on cbt with worksheets..All for free too.  Anyway I decided to give the triangle a try this morning.. (1.) I started out the morning thinking I am tired etc. etc.  this is going to be a lousy day...(2.) Next I decided to post to the thread Accomplishments and other positive things...(3.) I took action on my positive goals for the day...(4.) I didn't have a healthy breakfast like planned, instead I had hot cinnamon rolls out of the oven..Hay nobody is perfect..LOL so I didn't let that ruin my day..I am still going to get out and do my walk today..and inside the crowded mall because of the rain..or maybe I'll take my umbrella and walk outdoors in the rain even better, so I am not going to panic, I am not having a lousy day, I am having a great day..

Red...
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know about that but it does get rid of negative thoughts and it does create acceptance for positive ones that a person doesn't want to admit. Ones like I'm fat or I'm ugly or lazy. They could be true. But negative perception makes the thought negative. Same with if they are not true. Perception can make it either way, just that a negative perception is going to ruin your day.
So replace that perception with something positive. But really it is meant more for thoughts like I'm going to have a lousy day, or I'm going to be sick, or I'm going to panic. Even if they are true they don't have to cause panic. 

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
So it's a visual thought record!  Great for those of us who are right-brained
As you know there is little wrong with me anymore so I don't have to write anymore but I still do it in my head when I start getting off Track. It would be like this. I have breakfast and a coffee with full intentions of doing something. But I might have a bit of pain so I start to think negative things. This is where a person writes them down and challenges if they are right. No, okay then write down what is right. Or accept they are right, (could be with pain). On to the third corner of the triangle. If they were wrong then I have a reason now to do what I planned, or if they were right I have justification for what I do in this case instead of feeling bad all day. The object is to end up positive in the reaction corner no matter what the thought is in the thought corner. It can be done without writing but writing gets it into memory better where it can be recycled.
The other object and this is more important, is to not panic every time you have a trigger or a triggering thought. Panic is normal, that is okay this will deal with it easy. Enough use and that panic stops before it becomes an attack.
Beginners should write it down. Later it can be used as a reality check since most panic attacks are just negative thought.

Davit.  Still daylight, going again.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for this Davit, how do you implement the cognitive triangle in your life?
 Do you have any examples of a situation where you could use this?

Samantha, Health Educator
This is the closest I can find to the panic triangle on the internet. It is used to change negative thinking in mild cases and is very similar to the panic triangle in that it has a trigger, a thought and a reaction. In it you write the trigger in one corner, the thought it causes in the next and then in the third your reaction. If the thought is negative (it probably is) you write an appropriate positive thought beside it. And then in the next corner an appropriate reaction. 
This is similar to journaling in that it shows you your negative thinking and how you should be thinking and what to do about it. CBT.
The panic triangle on the other hand is an explanation of why panic happens.

My rest is over, back to the grind. 

Davit.

Reading this thread: