Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Driving Exposure

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have never feared driving, I love to drive. I sometimes feared losing concentration or getting to my destination. (grocery store) But never driving. With age I do not like heavy rain or blowing snow storms, and nights are not so good now but I can still drive anyway.

I do know that noise makes me nervous which is odd since I was a heavy equipment operator and used to it. I guess with age my nerves are not what they used to be.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, and I got over it with exposure.  I used to practise going to the destination in comfortable stages, and didn't know that I was learning the skill, but it's a type of education, isn't it?  Sometimes I'd take the weekends, very early in the morning, when there was no traffic, and practise getting to a point, or any distance that was equal to the length of the future trip.  Life was never "normal", I guess for me.

My projects would begin on monday,which had enough anxiety on their own, since I'd have to face a bunch of new and difficult group of people, too.

I'd get lost very often, and try to cover this, since I'd be afraid, I couldn't navigate.

I just thought it was "me"...
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Do you struggle with anxiety? Today we will be looking at sample exposure plans to help you overcome your fears.

If you fear driving…

•    Sit outside and look at the car for 1 hour
•    Sit in a car outside alone with the engine off for 1 hour
•    Sit in a car outside alone with the engine on for ½ hours. (Do not do this in an enclosed space due to carbon monoxide poisoning.)
•    Sit in a car outside alone with the engine on for 1 hour. (Do not do this in an enclosed space due to carbon monoxide poisoning.)
•    At a quiet time drive around one block for one hour
•    Drive in a quiet residential neighborhood for 1 hour
•    Drive in the same residential area at a busier time of day
•    Drive on a wider street during a quiet time of day for an hour
•    Repeat as above but make turns, change lanes & stop.
•    Drive on a wider street during a busier time of day for an hour.
•    Repeat as above but make turns, change lanes & stop.
•    Increase the amount of time and frequency of your driving gradually.

Is driving a fear of yours?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: