Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Second Session With New Therapist - My Experience

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi eleveno,

Your therapy sessions appear to be enlightening and very helpful.  By sharing
your experiences, you are also helping other members reflect on their own lives from a different perspective.
It is a collective learning experience and we are all here to support each other.  Thank you for sharing!

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Davit for the support and always being here.

On a previous post I wrote about the possibility of having a bipolar disorder and you clarify my thoughts when you said that the supposed mania phase could be caused by a necessity of trying to escape the anxiety itself. I discuss this with my therapist and he explain me what mechanisms work in a bipolar disorder and with you insight I concluded that there is a small probability of having a bipolar disorder. I now understand that there is a good probability that my mood swings are caused by my anxiety because I put too much intensity in what I do (bad or good) leading even to more anxiety symptoms.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
eleveno

I always read and I am always here.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

This post is the second one of a series of posts dedicated to express what I have learned from each session of therapy with my new therapist.

Yesterday was my second session with my new therapist and felt that session was productive and in the end I felt better with myself.

We start reviewing the objectives of my treatment: 1) understand my feelings, behaviors and thinking and how past experiences have influenced who I am today 2) plan activities for an healthy lifestyle with a big emphasis in establishing and developing relationships with other people 3) start reducing the medication and managing the symptoms associated with it.

On the following sessions of the therapy we will be concentrating on the first part of the treatment, which is to understand myself and most of what I talked about were conducted by the therapist. I talked about my parents. What were their background, their education and their temperament. What was their role in my education and what I remember to do with them. I tried to remember if my parents were affectionate with each other and with me as well as my brothers.

I was born in a small village, have 2 brothers and I am the oldest one. Until 9 years old we lived with my parents and grandparents until we moved to another city. As we were closed to my grandparents we would stay the weekends with them as well as some holidays. My parents enjoyed the beach and as we lived near the beach we would spend the summer in a village along the seashore. It was a wonderful time because my family has many friends there and I and my brothers play with other kids.

Then everything changed when my father died when I was 15 years old. From then on I never wanted to spend the summer on the beach. My mother and brothers still spent the summer on the beach but I started going all the holidays and weekends to be with my grandparents. It was with my grandparents that I felt comfortable and at home.

I also talked about my nervous breakdown last year and the psychotic experience that I had during that period, where I thought that there was a plot against me which include my wife, some colleagues and friends.

It is all for today and next week I will be writing about another session.

Thank you for reading.

Reading this thread: