Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

One Post

12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit, For all the positives, I always look at things negatively, I guess thats why I let anxiety rule me at times, A positive about me would be , I am a caring person, I truely like this site, because everyone has their own set of problems, but they seem to still be able to encourage someone who is having a rough time.  I don't know you all, but I feel a connection, and keep everyone in my prayers that there will be more good days, until the devil that each of you deal with is far in the past.   jaybe
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A post that has made a difference to me was titled: "Express yourself creatively" posted initially by Josie. This topic was covered in 3 posts. This made me a lot of sense to me, since I am an engineer by profession and tend to look life only with reasoning thinking. We know that for the mind to be balanced the reasoning and creative parts should be both used. With my anxiety and depression things got worse and practically only used the reasoning side.

It was suggested that one should found hobbies to express oneself creatively. I already put this in practicing with my hobbies (see my profile).

I also use this concept in other aspects of life. For example, when I have something to do that involves completing multiple tasks I write only the principal tasks to be completed, leaving some space for contingency's (which always happen no matter the plan) or adaptation (creativity) of the plan as I carry the tasks. Before this I tried to think and write all the activities putting much effort and energy on this process and in the end nothing went as planned, giving me a lot of frustration.

It is important to have reasoning thinking but it is also important to express ourselves creatively. In the last years I forgot the last part but now I am changing that.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jaybe.

I have been thinking on this friends thing and having trouble with it because although I used to be shy I'm not anymore. And I must admit that this site is a good place to start. It is a good place to make cyber friends. Years ago I would not have considered using a chat room. Or Email pen pals. But they are good practice to see what draws people in and what chases them away. I find conversations in chat mirror conversations in life with one exception. People are more open in chat rooms. Unfortunately they lie, so my advice is that if you use a dating site to practice making friends do it for fun or with caution. I have carried friends from chat rooms to real life. I have close friends that now use the phone. I have met a few personally. 
The other thing is that they become more family than family.

A few things not to do when making friends. Don't dominate the conversation. Don't brag. Don't fake it. If you don't understand something ask. Be prepared to listen, but don't be a doormat. Don't pick a topic no one else can share. and above all else just be you.

The other thing is that till people get to know you and care for you they will not want to know your troubles. 
One warning: do not give out your phone number or Email address till you know some one well and at that it is best to use a separate address just for Cyber friends.

Just reading your post, I do not see anything that would chase me away. I see an interesting person worth talking to.

Now for real life experiences. You read! In my area there is a reading club at the library, they also need people on the board. Hospitals (in small towns anyway) need people to read to patients. Don't forget friends can be any age and any sex. And they can be married. Some of my best friends are married. We know the rules.

Don't forget the "say hi" thread. You could tell us about your family or your twins. 
Aren't all families disfunctional, mine is. So are some of my wacky friends.

Oh and volunteering is a good way to meet people. 

Now how about everyone else here? What do you look for in a friend?

I'll start:  Humour (but not bad jokes) honesty, a good listener, a good talker, Some one who is not a chronic complainer. Some one knowledgeable on there subject. Some one who knows something I don't and is willing to share it. Some one concerned.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi, I have been reading around this site, having a really bad day!  I really wasn't going to post, but I know everyone on here is so caring, I have one big problem, I let the little things stress me, not just one , but like 5or6, but for me , they add upto be a major anxiety day that has potential for a Panic attack, My one major issue is I have no close friends, and my family dosen't care about my issues,{ very dysfunctional, another story} so when I feel better, it's because of caring people on this site.   Thaks!  any advice how to make friends, I am kinda shy and not outgoing?  jaybe
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some times we might think that what we have to say is frivolous but it isn't. I for one want to hear from everyone no matter what. I want to know how their day is. It all helps. It puts it all in perspective. It shows us that what we think may not be real. It shows us that others have bad days and good days too. It makes the world more real. More tolerable. And I am always here to support even if I don't answer. Nothing you say can ever be considered unimportant.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

It is important to know that members and Health Educators are always here for support.  It is also important to realize that by sharing we can all assist and learn from one another.  Take some time to find that one post that made a difference for you.

Share with us and continue to post support, you never know who it will help.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: