Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,481 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

What we know about stress at work

12 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have no stress at work, but then again perhaps I'm in my favourite state of de-Nile. LOL

Working in any industry can provide stress, but working in an office where office politics run rampant can make people feel like they're on the edge and almost incapable of hanging on. Coping techniques kick in at this stage - eating too much, consuming too much caffeine and even working extra hours to fit everything in. In the meantime the body and mind begin to break down as there is no longer enough resources to power the body. Pain, anxiety and depression levels rise. I know this from personal experience.

Stress at work has been a huge factor in my jobs and it has had far reaching impacts. I too have experienced way too many office politics and have become too wrapped up in solving all the problems of the world at work. This takes way too much energy and commitment to sustain without breaking. For me the depression and anxiety levels rose rapidly and the impact to my wellness was definitely noted.

After four years of being in a situation where I have faced many challenges I have learned that I am capable of meeting the needs of my clients when under stress (including tight deadlines), but find myself ready to jump off the edge of my chair. On the other hand, when the work stressors reduce I can accomplish sometimes up to four times more work.

Work stress has caused major issues with my health and wellness. Despite incredible stress of doing three people's job on top of my own, I have managed to hang on. This comes at the expense of my own health (working overtime hours and working through breaks) and leads to an immune system that doesn't have enough energy to fight off viruses and colds. The body no longer heals well or quickly, and I have experienced both weight gains and losses as a result.

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stress has an huge impact in my work. It was so huge that I had a nervous breakdown last year triggered by stress at work. Remembering my past jobs, I never knew how to deal with stressful situations leading to severe episodes of anxiety and depression. Because I didn't know how to manage stress at work I was too involved in problems and become even obsessed about them. This lead me to forgot other aspects in life, including my wellness goals, and increasing even more my anxiety and depression symptoms. When this happened to me on my first jobs I quit because I couldn't handle the pressure, but on the last job I didn't realized it and when I knew it I was with a nervous breakdown.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

In the past week, we’ve been talking about stress management. Contrary to popular belief, stress is not a given when it comes to working. Stress at work often leads to:

°    Decrease commitment
°    Decreased productivity
°    Increase in incidence of mental health illnesses such as anxiety & depression
°    Increased incidence of absenteeism
°    Decreased recruitment & retention
°    Decreased customer satisfaction

From this list, you should conclude that learning how to cope effectively with stress in the workplace can result in a better work environment. It also makes you a better employee. If you encourage others to do the same, a better boss or coworker!

How does stress impact you at work? How does this affect your ability to stay on track with your wellness goals?

Samantha, Health Educator

Reading this thread: