Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Coping Strategies for a Stress Plan

12 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Coping strategies,

Physical.....Going for walk 7  Swimming 8
Mental.....Sewing 8  Reading 10
Social..... Visiting with classmates 8  on line groups 4
Diversions.....doing research 8  gardening 6  going to bookstore 10
Spiritual.........Bible verses 10   Prayer 8

Sid
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m 

Yes I think that is why. I also think it is okay to.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting question Davit... I just went to my favorite game site to play a few rounds of a puzzle game.  For once, actually did it with intention and awareness.  I found that the mindlessness of the game helped give space to contemplate the questions and thoughts I have about recent discussions... like AA and core beliefs and stress relief.  I actually was using the time... with less stress... to sort of organically process this stuff.  No pressure like when I'm really focused on it.  Weird.  Probably not what you were asking, but still... interesting.
I suspect it may just be a matter of convenience.... reading and computer games are easy to start and stop in small snippets of time which is all I have doing childcare and they don't require full concentration... no thought at all in fact... perhaps that is why for me too.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

Could it be because some things in life are just meant to be done because they are and do not have to be either stressful or relieving. I find mindless time consuming gives me a rest. If I had a dog and could take it for a walk around my ponds, (I have a trail) I would do it with out thinking about it being stress relief or anxiety because it was time consuming, I would just do it. Same for prayer or contemplation. I would just sit back there on the bench and look around. It is impossible to think of nothing but possible to think of nothing important. I think time out from both stress relief and pleasure are important. And surprisingly it becomes a form of stress relief.
Journaling is variable, Just random babbling and then erase it does more than journaling serious thought for me. I use both forms. The serious thought when I am (was) trying to stop panic. Random babbling when I'm trying to prevent anxiety from becoming panic.
Computer games do nothing for me at all.
Once a week or so I have lunch with a friend, Anticipation may start low but it soon becomes a ten also.
Have you come up with a reason why you turn mostly to something that gives you little relief?
I know why I do it, I just wonder why you do.

Davit.
Hi again... I do have some more comments and specific questions but will move them to the appropriate threads.  For now, I thought we should get this thread back on track.... Coping strategies for stress plan... don't know if I did this right, but here goes:

Physical - walk dogs (5) ; use exercise bike (6)

Mental - Zentangling (9) ; journaling (3) 

Social - Forums (4) ; lunch out with a friend (10)

Diversions - Reading a novel (2) ; Computer games (1)

Spiritual - Using my Healing Runes (7) ; Singing hymns (8)

1 is less relief, 10 is most relief

These choices and ratings surprise me.  The two I turn to most are actually the least able to relieve my stress.
Thank you all for your kind words and shared wisdom. Your responses are all helpful, grounding, calming.  Being "seen" and accepted is a pretty big component of recovery.  One I don't think I fully realized before.  So yes, I will come here and post often (as we say :) to get the community support I need.  I will use the AHC for keeping my drinking diary which has been a terrific tool and use the Depression Center lessons on core beliefs.  It IS overwhelming to try to fully participate in each site.  I think you all have made good suggestions for how I can make this work. I am grateful for your insight.  And, yes... alcohol was my muffler, tuning out emotions I wanted to avoid... basically all of them.  So all of the pieces of my work on these sites feels pretty intense... pretty raw... and I don't give myself credit for the bits of progress I am making.

It is also very helpful to know about the ebb and flow of the different sites...I just figured it was my fault no one was participating at the AHC...  That might be a good core belief to unravel... how I feel responsible for everyones' pain.   

I think part of my feeling overwhelmed is just that the baby is going through a no sleep phase, plus she is now walking. Keeping up with her all day with no nap break is exhausting!  Fortunately, summer break from school is soon upon us which means my teacher daughter gets to stay home all day with her own children and I get a break :)

Again, thank you all for your support and kindness... I do feel much better!

12 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,

I hope you are feeling a little better today..You mentioned in your post that you have posted here and gotten responses. May be you have answered you own question?  What I am trying to say is that I had a lot of emotions and anxiety to deal with when I quit drinking, that I hadn't dealt with before because I was self medicating. I think that the panic program here would have helped me a lot..I know it is now and I think it can help you too..Please consider posting here and see if it helps..You can read the sessions on the other sites that are helpful to you too and still come here and post..Thats what I have been doing..

Your friend,
Sid

12 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,

I am sorry you are feeling this way.  It sounds like you are feeling a little overwhelmed right now.  Focusing on one site could be a good idea for you.  However, I want you to know that when you first began posting in the AHC the site was a lot more active. Recently there has been a decline in activity.  Perhaps due to the time of year?  Whatever the case is this is why you are not getting responses from other members.  They are just not posting at all!  The Panic Center has always been a more active site and that is probably why you get more support here.  Also, people who come to the Panic Center tend to stick around and continue to post.  Members in the AHC tend to be active in short bursts and then do not come back.  Not sure why that is but it would make for an interesting study.

If you feel the desire to post in AHC I encourage you to do so as it certainly is helpful when members decide to stop by.

What do you want to focus on?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Physical: Riding a bycicle 5, ioga 7
Mental: working on something that I love (without obsessive thinking) 9, ioga 7 
Social: talking with a friend 8, casual talking with other people 10
Diversions: watching a movie 8
Spiritual: going to the church 8, ioga 7

Reading this thread: