Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Myth or Fact

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is an interesting discussion! It's great that by sharing dialogue, theories, thoughts, and experiences, insight can be gleaned!

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

It is horrible isn't it. It picks and digs, not like a panic attack you suffer and it is over. I discovered this about me. As long as I had staph infection I had a safe place to hide in the pain. Now I have to fit back in and it is scary, not panic scary, just scary. I did find though that I have the tools to fix this, so will you. "we shall overcome". :-)

here for you.
Davit.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone:  Davit you reminded me of the volunteer work I did for a couple of years, with parolees.  Often they went to halfway houses for awhile at the end of their sentence for that exact reason.  To learn how to live again in the world of today.  These parolees sometimes (depending on how long their sentences were - the federal system, not provincial) were in long enough that they had to adjust to the fast pace of the outside.  We volunteers were there to help them with any anxiety, to answer questions, to help with interviews, doctor appts. whatever they were anxious about.  It's kind of the same for us if we've been living quietly and fearful, need to spread our wings again, slowly but surely.  With the CBT program, we can learn how to do that.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
B I N G O!!!  Davit, you just described where I am... and I didn't even realize it til I read this. I am so sick and tired of the fear.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley 

You are so right but there is also a fear of living and it is bad. It is a fear of getting better and having to learn how to work or just exist again. A fear of having to perform. Much akin to a person who gets out of jail after a long time and having to learn to live again. Some times if the panic is not too bad and you can avoid situations it seems like a safe place to live. But it isn't.

Here for you,
Davit
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Myth: People that suffer from anxiety are just scared of living.
Fact: There are no clear-cut answers as to why some people develop an anxiety disorder, although it is likely that a number of factors contribute to it’s onset. Like most mental health problems, anxiety disorders appear to be caused by a combination of biological factors, psychological factors and challenging life experiences, including:
•    stressful or traumatic life events
•    a family history of anxiety disorders
•    childhood development issues
•    alcohol, medications or illicit substances
•    other medical or psychiatric problems

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: