Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Your top 3 - Inspirational Reads

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also have some books on Grief that I forgot to list which helped me a great deal...Someone may want to take a look at these also..The helped me understand and get through the grieving process..The books comforted me..
1. Caregiving       The spiritual , journey of  Love, Loss, and Renewal,  by Beth Witrogen Mcleod..
2. Don't Let Death Ruin Your Life by Jill Brooke
3. How to go on living when someone you love dies by Therese A. Rando, Ph.D.
4. Getting to the other side of grief.  Overcoming the loss of a spouse.  Susan J.Zonnebelt-Smeenge, R.N.,ED.D. and Robert C. DeVries, D. Vries, D.Min.,Ph.D.

I wanted to list these also for anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one. They may have what they call cumulative grief.  This happens sometimes when someone has lost many people in there lives and has dealt not with the losses or allowed themselves to grief. They called this cumulative grief in the Hospice grief groups that I attended...My hope is that one of these books will help you if you are grieving like they helped me....

Red
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here is my list of books that I have read over the last 8 years that have helped me through various things in my life..

1. Feeling Good by David D. Burns, M.D.   There is also a handbook available to go with this book. This book was recommended to me by a psycratiis.
2. Boundaries by Cloud/Tounsend   This book was recommended to me by a church counselor. There is a series of books in this collection titled Boundaries In Dating and another titled Safe People.
3. Transitions making sense of life's changes by William Bridges
4. Healing Your Grieving Heart  by Alan D, Wolfelt,PH.D.
5. The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
6. The Language of Letting Go By Melody Beattie  I haven't read this one yet
7. Getting to the other side of grief by Susan J. Zpmmebelt-Smeenge, R.N., Ed.D. and Robert C. De Vries, D. Min., Ph.D.
8. When I'm on My Knees by Anita Corine Donihue.
9. The Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder  Sourcebook by Glen R. Schiraldi, Ph.D.  I have not read this one yet.
10. Traveling Light  By Max Lucado  Releasing the burdens you were never indended to bear.  The promise of Psalm 23

I hope some or one of these books helps someone else out there like they helped me.

Red.

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone:  There is one book I like - it is an anthology of Canadian Love Poems - Title:  LOVE, Where the Nights are Long.  Selections by Irving Layton and the drawings by Harold Town.  I hadn't read this for years and picked it up the other day.  It's really beautiful.
  Another book:  One Hundred Poems from the Chinese - translation Kenneth Rexroth.  This was my introduction to Chinese poetry.  Another world of beauty and feeling.

Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am inspired by a lot of things, Books, movies and just recently another patient in the hospital. We were comparing damage. He has an artificial knee and only one kidney. I don't know what he is in for but I know what some of the machines and tubes and bags are for, after all I have spent enough time in hospitals. I asked him how he was. This large man only said. "I want to go home". I got sent home before I could reassure him he would be going home. So here I am at home and although the pain is pretty bad I at least got to go home, that alone will keep the anxiety down. 

There are a lot of Cinderella storeys out there. Every day people overcome great hardships and continue on. If they can so can I. We think of the sacrifices of the great wars but no one talks about the damage to nervous systems, And they did not have this program or this computer to help them. They gave me this life and I'm not going to waste it. Unfortunately there trauma contributed to my core beliefs. These I shall overcome for them and me, and if I had children I would do it for them so that I did not contribute to their core beliefs too. This is why I read books on the war. If any one had a reason for panic they did.

I can not think of any books at the moment, but tell me of yours or a movie. I can use all the help I can get and we do have a good library here.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Have you ever been inspired by a book? What books have helped you get through your hardships? Please share your top reads with us, so we can read them as well!

Samantha, Health Educator 

Reading this thread: