Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,488 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Role Transition and Strategies

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been thinking about this topic most of the day and the strategy presented here. I think it is going to be very helpful.
My role has changed dramatically over the last 16 years. As the years have gone bye I have had many transitions and role changes.  I think this is a natural part of the aging process. I was a daughter, granddaughter, wife, mother and grandmother and now I am a partner to someone very special in my life.. Things change in life and it was hard to accept and it has taken time to adjust to my new role in life. In thinking about this topic I have asked myself if my old life was really better than my new life. In all honestly I would have to say no it was just different. All of these roles were important and had there good and bad points..
The holidays are coming up soon and I have started working on making the holidays more enjoyable for myself and my partner. Over the last several years we have spent the holidays without any immediate family members.  My partner and I have to decided to do something different this year.  Today I made reservations at a nice restaurant for Thankgiving dinner. I also made reservations for us to go camping  for 4 days at a Hot springs in the desert for Christmas. We have accepted our new roles and have decided we will not be waiting at home this year hoping that things will be the way the used to be because that is not possible and we really do want to enjoy the holidays together...So this year we are going to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas because we have each other.  We are both very thankful for that...
These transitions have taken time for me to accept and I now have become very comfortable in my new role..and would not to change it for anything. I do like my Freedom.....

Red
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Step 1: Write down all of the positive aspects of your old role. What did you like or enjoy most about the old role? What aspects of the old role do you miss the most?

Step 2: Write down all of the negative aspects of your old role. This can be very difficult to think about. However, there’s always at least something negative!

Step 3: Write down the negative aspects of your new role. Try to be as specific as possible and describe the negative aspects in as much detail as possible.

Step 4: Write down the positive aspects of your new role. This is the most difficult part of the exercise but you may be able to find some if you think long enough - and try hard enough. There may be something positive about your new role even if it doesn’t seem very big or important right now. If you can’t think of anything, ask the Support Group for help. Somebody may have been in a similar situation.

Step 5: Spend some time comparing the positive and negative aspects of your old and new roles. After looking at the evidence, was the old role really all good? Is your new role really all bad? You know what the challenges of your new role are. What are the potential opportunities? Is there any possible way to get anything positive out of your new role?

Step 6: Spend some time thinking about how your new role has affected your relationships. What were you like in your old relationships? What are you like in your new relationships? Is there anything you’d like to change in your behavior or communication style? What are your goals?

Step 7: Spend some time thinking about whether or not there is anything you can do to cope better with your role transitions. Are there any changes you can make in how you’re thinking or behaving? What specific changes could you work on?
Take the time to really think carefully about your role transition and complete the Role Transition exercises suggested above. This will be hard work and it’ll likely take some time. Most people who struggle with a role transition have trouble seeing anything negative about the old role - and anything positive about the new role. You may need help by getting a different perspective from a friend, or ask the Support Group for help. That’s what we are here for.

Was this strategy helpful to you?

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: