Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,496 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Severities of Agoraphobia and Other Questions

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stewed

Since we do not know much about each other I like to remind people to look for a physical reason why they can not work full time. Anxiety can be very debilitating but that does not mean the fatigue is not coming from a physical cause. Fatigue could be causing anxiety, not anxiety causing fatigue, although it could be. Also Some things are physically impossible to do and not Agoraphobia. Look very closely before you label yourself.

Half full is a good attitude and will take you far.

Here for you.
Davit.
13 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think the question of a permanent handicap is a helpful one.  I think that we each need to take the curves life throws us and perhaps readjust how we live part or all of our lives.  I think saying that this is a permanent handicap is all about perspective.  Maybe working part time is just healthier for some people.  Maybe life is too ramped up and fast right now anyhow.  Either way, Dizzy, like Davit said, it's about perception.  I would prefer to see the glass as half full.....  I am happy for you that you are going out with someone new.  I hope your social evening is fun and gives you a new friend. 
Dizzy

I can not do PM because my computer is a Mac. Look up codependent and it might explain why I have nothing to do with my brother, family or not. He gives me major second hand anxiety.

Here for you,
Davit
Dizzy 

The reason for writing down what is happening and what you are thinking is because your mind is reacting to a false thought which is causing the attack. The first thing you will notice when you write it down is the confusion. During a real bad attack you will not be able to write it. That is how bad the confusion is. If you wait till it is over you will write what you think happened not what actually did. That does you no good. You have to be able to read it later and see, and say this is false, this is really stupid thoughts. Okay, see this is where you build a positive thought that actually buries the negative because the evidence is there in black and white. You can't build a thought and deny it like you do if you just build a positive thought in your mind. After a few times of doing this you will find the positive thought destroying the attack before you can write it down, from this point you will be able to build positive thoughts just by thinking them and not deny them. Pretty soon you can do what you are trying to do, which is tell yourself since there is no reason for the attack it can just go away. It takes a while but journaling is the best and some times the only way. Since they happen in bed you can try air writing. Lay there and with one finger write in the air in front of you exactly what you would put on paper. What this does is put it in your memory exactly how it is happening not like how you think it happened which is what you will do if you write it down later. The object is to expose yourself to the false thought that is causing the attack and register it as just that. You will also separate the false reasons from the true ones such as you woke up because you are in an uncomfortable position and if you stay there you be sore. The first time I woke in a panic and was able to tell it to go away I was so surprise, and yet it did and I promptly went back to sleep.  Some of this I believe is in my blog.

Other members has journalling helped you?

Here for you 
Davit.
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit

I need some clarification, but perhaps not. During the attack I watch what I thinking I am allways in bed so it would be hare to write down while in bed. I watch what I am thinking not the reason for the attack just my reaction to it. I store what I thinking and then write in my journal that morning when I wake up. What I am doing, is this a close approximation of what your suggesting or am I interpreting what you said wrong.  The one thing I did during the attack and perhaps this is wrong, is I started saying things like I can take it and it is only and panic attack and that why I am in fear of the sensations, kind of positive thoughts during it.  However, I think it became a double edge sword becuase well I was saying these things I think in the back of my mind was why is it not stopping  the attack (stupid I know to expect positive thoughts to stop an attack on the second try). The positive thoughts came from watching what I had said before in previous attacks I am still in session 3 so perhaps I am employing the wrong method by saying anything at all. What is your advice? One thing I also noticed is what I am thinking before I go to bed can affect an attack. Such as if i think there are happening becuase i learned it from when i lost my hearing that when I move in bed I will have an attack, or the CBT told me that there is allways a thought with the attack so if i have identified what I was thinking before the attack happened then I start looking for this thought and when it appears I have an attack. Again I have challenged all the thoughts and they do not produce an attack 100% of the time so I am challenging them and discarding them.

Dizzy

Dizzy
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy,

Congratulations on the outing. This is good news.  This is progress you are doing exposure and may be meeting someone you can have a friendship and relationship with.  Good luck!  Have Fun!

Red
Dizzy'

Just a thought, can you let the panic happen and write down every thing you are thinking at the time, not just what you think is causing it. Or get one of those recorders if you can't write at the time. I would like to know how you find this. Almost every one says it clears the situation, brings out the unreality of the attacks and progressively shortens them till they have no more effect. Like thought exposure. 

Good luck with the outing. Good attitude, I wish you all the best, and my nosy side wants to know how you make out, ignore me.

Here for you.
Davit.
Tina
My next step is to step back awhile and continue to challenge thoughts. I pretty sure that my social worker was hinting at the fact that I spend to much time on think about what I am thinking. I am looking at relationships becuase I think this is where I need something positive in my life so I am completing the last part of the tool box. As for my dad he thinks I am doing the right thing for myself but as with his generation cannot add much support not becuase he dose not want to becuase he has never thought about the way he thinks.

Dizzy

I would like to thank you for your observations  and insights I guess that my last question no one want to answer because if they sat yes then you give up and if they say no then you’re trying may lead to a worsening of attacks. In either case, there is no right or wrong answer. I have not tried to roll with attacks yet because I am listening to what my thought are during one so that I can challenge them latter. As Davit said perhaps, I still need more thought exposure to my thoughts and this is where I am concentrating my efforts

Just as an aside for the people who may know me, I had relationship issues in one of my posts. I asked someone out and where going out next week.  I have no expectations as people said it could lead to a good friend, which I could use at the very least. I have also prepared myself that we may not click at all and this is just an experience.
Dizzy
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dizzy and all,

Sometimes, part of CBT is to stay at your job so that you have consistency and a schedule in your life. This might be something you can work towards, definitely. Changing how one thinks is not easy- it can be done! Davit, Pounce, and Red are prime examples! However, it requires the right tools to accomplish this major task.

Dizzy, you are getting insight from those who have been there, done that. It's rich with wisdom. However, every person and situation is different, and this forum is probably not the appropriate place to have all you questions answered, unfortunately- at least not the ones specific to you! You might find it helpful to start a blog on the site so that you can track your feelings, like a journal for yourself.

I think you are on the right path! Keep with the program. Keep talking to your Doctor. Keep thinking about your triggers and breathing through them as opposed to running with the feelings (I know- this is part of the 'changing your thinking'). Keep chatting with us. What is your next step? Where are you in the program? Is your Dad supportive and/or involved with your treatment?

Tiana, Health Educator

Reading this thread: