Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Challenging Worry

13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thoughts everyone. I really latched on to Sunny's phrase - "Choose to be happy". As I'm going on this journey towards recovery it has really started to sink in that you make your own happiness. Like Juanita said, the "I'll be happy when..." thoughts don't work. It is a real process to make this kind of change to your way of thinking, but I'm working at it. It's good to have people like you, Sunny and Davit, as role models for how effective this way of living is, in terms of being more content with your life. I know a few other people in my life that are that way too, and they always seem a lot happier and healthier. 
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,
If today is my last day on earth, I don't think I would do anything different than what I am doing right now, which is living the best life I  can.
I agree with you Sunny, the "I'll be happy when" idea never really works does it?  I believe we can choose to be happy... I think it goes back to the "all or nothing " thinking ...and letting go ....and getting to really like yourself, flaws and all. Thats true happiness to me.
Juanita

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny

I agree with you. And that is how I live. 

Dizzy, you are to literal. There are people that work and plan and save and still live every day like it is there last chance for happiness. That is what a will is for, so that if it is your last chance to be happy that every thing is in order. You don't have to quit work and spend all your money. Make some one happy by leaving it to them. But live every day like it is your last. (chance to be happy) The choice is yours. It is no coincidence that the two people here without panic live that way. Nothing monetary can make you happy only thought can make you happy.

Here for you.
Davit.

PS. I want a new tractor but will get by with what I have, I drive an older car also. But my computer is very expensive and I am buying a new lathe because I want it and can afford it. It won't make me happy but the time I spend on it will.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy:  Another question is if you knew it was your last day, or you had a few days left, what would you want to do or change. Hopefully if you are happy with yourself you wouldn't need to change anything.  You would accept what you have. It's a kind of question that  makes you realize what is important in your life.  As for treating every day as your last day, to me it addresses issues more on an emotional and spiritual level, being grateful for what you have right now.  Yesterday is gone, tomorrow isn't here yet, we only have today.  Of course we need a job and car to live and support ourselves because tomorrow will probably arrive, but the message is mainly one of living each day to the fullest without excuses.

Sunny
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunny

I have pondered the saying to treat everyday as your last to live it to the fullest. What I thought about it is if I was to actually treat my day as the last then I would spend all my money not try to things to go back to work. Perhaps I am being to literal here I have had similar discussions with some other people and they said you still have to plan for a better future but live in the present. I am wondering how you reconcile these two different thoughts, quit my job, spend all my money, and live the day as it were my last, verses keeping job, not spending all my money, a planning to do things so that I can have a better future. I don't mean that as in your list I need that car to be happy but I think I need CBT to change my life.

Dizzy
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  Yup, changing negative thoughts to positive thoughts.  Being upbeat instead of down.  Smiling when you don't really feel like it.  Choose to be happy, choose life.  The world is just waiting for you, celebrate every day as though it were your last.  Look around, see the beauty.  Don't waste any time feeling sorry for yourself.  As the saying goes, there will always be someone better off than you, and there will always be someone worse off than you.  If it's true that you can feel someone's pain and feel sad for them, then you can also feel someone's joy, and feel happy for them.  I'm chosing the joy because it's a positive.

Too many people are waiting for something.  Such as,
                                                                                  I'll be happy when I get that new car
                                                                                  I'll be happy when I lose the weight
                                                                                  I'll be happy once I'm married
                                                                                  I'll be happy when I finish college/univ.
                                                                                  I'll be happy when I get that job
                                                                                  I'll be happy when someone loves me
                                                                                  I'll be happy when I don't have anxiety/panic
                                                                                  I'll be happy when......
You get the picture.  It seems to always depend on something.  What is inside you that can make you happy?  Do you like yourself?  Can you make yourself happy without anything, or anyone else?  When you can do that, you're on your way to success.

Your friend, Sunny

Emotions are a reaction to a thought. Fear being the biggest emotion during a panic attack. The thought that caused it is not important, what is, is the thought you are going to use to cover it and change the emotion. The best thought is something like "this is not real and I am not doing this any more". But it doesn't have to be. It can be a distracting thought, such as concentrating on something else for a minute such as journaling. And yes you can go from the thought, "I'm afraid to I'm sad about this to it's not important to it is okay" A whole series of emotions.

Here for you.
Davit

Hi Davit

I completely agree with you about thought and emotions. The point I was trying to make is that if a situation causes panic you cannot change your emotion of panic to happiness just by will. It requires a thought change just as you said they are interlinked. To change an emotion to an event you have to change your thought about it.

Dizzy

Dizzy

I can change emotions! Thoughts and emotions are tied together.

Davit

Hi Davit

I can hear what you are saying and it makes sense to me. However, I believe that you cannot manipulate emotions from on feeling to another in fact the two things we cannot do is not have an emotion and not have the sensation that go with it. The things we can do are to change our thoughts, impulses, and behaviours. What CBT teaches us are thoughts, impulses, and behaviours can be changed. The unreality sensation comes from the everyday panic attacks that I have in the morning I was not trying to say that my anger at my brother causes unreality. Although I believe that anger is one of the emotions that can cause the same sensations as anxiety. For me I am not suppressing the anger in the thought experiment I did I said "is he doing this too purposely (ignore me) annoy me”, after I felt the anger and analyzed it. The reason is use this saying is that help me believe that my anger is unfounded and that it may be a core belief or instant reaction of how I think other people should react. It also gives my mind an opportunity to think up of other reason why he has not replied to my offer. By defusing the anger, I can instantly think of secure thoughts. The thought could be, it a hard decision for him to make, maybe he has not had time to discuss it with his wife, maybe he I afraid of my proposal, and maybe his hole phone system is not working or computer and is unable to talk to me. I know the last one seems ridicules but it shows me how ridicules my anger is. The last thing I know about anger is that it usually there because you did not get what you wanted, which is my expectation of how long it should take him to make a decision. Know I have realized that I did not get what I felt was a suitable time for him to reply. However, I now I realize I am improvising my belief system on his.  as the panic center says we may be experiencing the same problems but no one can know how I feel and no one can know how you feel even is we have the same false belief and emotion and sensation we are going to have a different experience.

Dizzy

Reading this thread: