Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Depression and Chronic Illness

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley:  Definitely my health, the high BP this summer, caused anxiety.  Also since I have glaucoma and because of the high BP, it started acting up with a lot of pain, it was like a vicious circle.  They both caused anxiety, and pain causes BP to go higher.  I couldn't do as much as I would have liked this summer and that bothered me.  I had to let go of the perfect garden and those long walks by the beach.  It was just too hot at times with high BP and I didn't have the strength.  I didn't have depression but I did have down days when I thought it was taking too long and thoughts that it would never get better frequently appeared.  I did talk about depression with my doctor just in case.  She didn't think I was but did want to address the anxiety as that didn't help with the BP.  It's good to be aware and get help as soon as you can.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley

On the net the only thing people can know about you is what they tell you, so most people are not aware that I have a chronic disease. This time I'm talking disease, some thing that needs medication and doesn't go away. I also have a chronic condition that should eventually go away.
Both definitely cause depression. Arthritis and Depression go hand in hand. I will always have both but how I deal with the depression dictates how bad it will be. I have both kinds of depression. I have Chemical depression which just means I have to take some vitamins and minerals to compensate. I also have the mental depression. In this case it is a poor me dragon sitting on my shoulder telling me that since I'm too sick to do anything why bother. He is a rather ugly mottled brown dragon and he cowers because on the other shoulder is a large pretty multi coloured dragon saying in that ear. "because you can still". Depression will always be there, what you do with it dictates if it has power. Your helper may just be attitude or it may be medication or both but what ever it is do not let depression rule your life.
And here we have two emotions that seem similar but aren't. Depression and grieving. They are not the same even though loss can cause depression. You can still grieve and not be depressed but it is hard to do.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

It's fairly common that people with a chronic illness also have clinical depression. That's because a chronic illness does more than affect a person's physical well-being. A chronic illness, such as diabetes or heart disease, has a major impact on a person's lifestyle and even on a person's sense of self.

Examples of chronic illnesses include type 1 or type 2 diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, kidney disease, HIV/AIDS, lupus, multiple sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's disease, and cancer.

Are you currently living with a chronic illness? How do you think your health status plays into your depression or panic?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: