Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Problems with Avoidance

13 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think one of the hardest parts about anxiety affecting my life, is how it's affected my ability (or inability) to travel. I'd been planning on going to New Zealand for years, it's a place I long to be but my mind won't let me go. The idea of being in New Zealand makes me so happy, but the reality of a 20-something hour long flight, and being half-way around the world from my home and family just invokes an instant panic attack. Even going an hour outside the city on camping trip is difficult, so I'll have to save my New Zealand adventure for when I am healed.
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would say it has impacted my life in big and small ways. I have missed out on going to events because of panic that it won't go like I want it to. I have avoided making important decisions more carefully because of the anxiety felt while I try to problem solve.
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

When we avoid things due to anxiety, we miss out. As you probably already know, escaping the situation you find yourself in when you have a panic attacks can lead to problems.

•    Problem 3: The more you avoid, the less you’re able to lead a full, happy and productive life. As a result of escaping and avoiding, you don’t get to do a lot of things other people get to enjoy such as, going out with friends, driving, going to a movie or going away of vacation.
•    Problem 4: When people aren’t able to enjoy life because of avoidance, they beat themselves up. People with panic or anxiety usually say escaping makes them feel better in the short-term but worse in the long-term. The end result is negative thoughts about themselves, the world and the future. This can lead to depression.

How has anxiety impacted your life?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: